Author Topic: EP609: Wasps Make Honey  (Read 9160 times)

eytanz

on: January 20, 2018, 05:05:27 PM
Escape Pod 609: Wasps Make Honey

AUTHOR : Penelope Evans
NARRATOR : Karen Bovenmyer
HOST: Tina Connolly

---

The scrap heaps at the edge of the settlement are taller than the average colony building. They offer up next to nothing good. But the factory doesn’t want either of us anymore. Power cells don’t come cheap now. In fact, they barely come at all. “Sometimes I think we should give up on this,” Jax tells me, leaning on a big busted-up engine piece—an oscillator from a collector class ship or something of equal size. This is her half of the argument, where she begs me to give up. She has a lot of arguments, and they are all at least mildly convincing and a little hurtful. I’m getting old (true), she’s getting old (also true), sooner or later her drivers will fail and I could be doing better things with my time (true and true).

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:27:22 PM
Okay, I really liked this story. Really.
But it had one flaw that, while very minor, seriously dragged me out of the story.
   Ena met Jax at the age of 19, when she was just starting her career. Then after twenty years of working she is too old and worn out to be of use to the employers. Let me do the math...  19 + 20 = 39!!
   Really? Someone is too old and decrepit at 39 to work? Ummm, retirement age in the western world is around 65. So what do people do for the remaining 26 years of their working life?
   If there was some reason for Ena to be unsuitable for work at age 39, this should have been clearly spelled out in the story, because in the absence of other information, you would expect Ena to be a normal human, comparable to us, and therefore able to work well into her 60's.
   I know this is a minor point in the story, but it really pulled me out and lessened my enjoyment of this otherwise very interesting story. And it dragged me away from commenting about more pertinent things, like how well this story addressed the satisfaction that can be had from a close and life-long friendship.

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:28:04 PM
   If there was some reason for Ena to be unsuitable for work at age 39, this should have been clearly spelled out in the story, because in the absence of other information, you would expect Ena to be a normal human, comparable to us, and therefore able to work well into her 60's.

Ena's early onset arthritis was mentioned several times IIRC :–)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:12:28 PM

Interesting. I remember the arthritis, but didn't equate that with inability to work. Arthritis can have such a range of impacts and levels of impact that it just didn't occur to me that this would be enough to prevent her from working. Thanks for pointing that out.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 10:16:27 PM

Interesting. I remember the arthritis, but didn't equate that with inability to work. Arthritis can have such a range of impacts and levels of impact that it just didn't occur to me that this would be enough to prevent her from working. Thanks for pointing that out.

Okay, nowwwwwwww yer gonna get it.  Arthritis in ones 40s?! Ohhhhh yeah.  Put said person on some steroids to repair damaged kidneys and watch the cartilage start to degrade. When my spouse had it in her late-late 30s, it scared the hell outta me.  Renal failure?! No thanks. Fear not, I’m just being a bit tart with you. My spouse recovered the proverbial 95% (with some arthritis in her lower back and knees [and she’s forbidden to take NSAIDS]).. It’s (almost) all good.  ;D

This was a fun episode to listen to & a joy to visualize. The title was a mystery to me, then I had my “ah ha” moment. Nice.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:02:05 AM
This was my favorite EP story in a long time! It was very sweet.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:40:30 PM
This was extremely touching. Gay android moms ftw!

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 05:53:51 AM

Were they actually gay, though? Am I naive if I didn't get any sexual attraction between them at all? Or am I android-ist? In any case, I just did not think they were a sexual couple. I don't recall sex being ever introduced between them, and I'm the kind of person that if you don't mention that they had sex I assume they didn't have sex. Personally, I really liked the idea that they were close friends and that you can have such a close friendship without it needing to be sexual....

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 03:14:53 PM

Were they actually gay, though? Am I naive if I didn't get any sexual attraction between them at all? Or am I android-ist? In any case, I just did not think they were a sexual couple. I don't recall sex being ever introduced between them, and I'm the kind of person that if you don't mention that they had sex I assume they didn't have sex. Personally, I really liked the idea that they were close friends and that you can have such a close friendship without it needing to be sexual....

I’m so hungry for representation that sometimes I see things that aren’t there. However, sex is not necessary for a romantic relationship. Whether romantic or platonic, it’s clear that they love each other.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:54:25 PM

I’m so hungry for representation that sometimes I see things that aren’t there. However, sex is not necessary for a romantic relationship. Whether romantic or platonic, it’s clear that they love each other.

I like to think they were indeed family. This level of self-awareness in the android’s called the singularity, right? Yep, they sound like a couple that MADE IT. That’s my interpretation and I’m sticking to it![/b]  8)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 09:34:16 PM

I like to think they were indeed family. This level of self-awareness in the android’s called the singularity, right? Yep, they sound like a couple that MADE IT. That’s my interpretation and I’m sticking to it![/b]  8)

To me if it's a platonic relationship, then by definition it isn't romantic (which I think implies sexual or the desire to be sexual). That doesn't mean it can't be as deep or meaningful. I like Scuba Man's definition that they were family. My relationships with my parents and siblings are very deep and meaningful, without being sexual.

That's what I really liked about this story. It spoke to me about the fact that you can have very deep, meaningful, and fulfilling relationships with friends that aren't lovers. I think our society tends to forget about that, or even undermine it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:42:49 PM by CryptoMe »

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 03:30:45 AM
]

To me if it's a platonic relationship, then by definition it isn't romantic (which I think implies sexual or the desire to be sexual).
Tell that to all of the hetro/homo/bi/panromantic asexuals. I do like your second point though. Family and love do not need blood and bone.

--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 03:46:39 PM
I think I read this relationship as queer rather than platonic as they created a child that they became the caregiver for. Although I may very well have made that interpretation before the child came along. Their connection seemed a lot more intimate than just friends. Weird. "A Cure for Homesickness" was totally platonic for me, while this one wasn't. Maybe because that one was MILSF and this one was a lot more on the magical realism end of scifi.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 01:44:11 PM
]

To me if it's a platonic relationship, then by definition it isn't romantic (which I think implies sexual or the desire to be sexual).
Tell that to all of the hetro/homo/bi/panromantic asexuals. I do like your second point though. Family and love do not need blood and bone.

I think we are saying the same thing, that this story was showing you can have very deep and meaningful relationships which don't involve sex.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 06:23:35 PM
]

I think we are saying the same thing, that this story was showing you can have very deep and meaningful relationships which don't involve sex.

I agree! And I’m saying that the robot and the lady are in a queer romantic asexual relationship. ^^

--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 07:41:00 PM
]

I agree! And I’m saying that the robot and the lady are in a queer romantic asexual relationship. ^^

So, can I ask a question, with great respect, because I really would like to learn?
How would a "queer romantic asexual relationship" differ from plain old close friends?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 02:51:41 PM by CryptoMe »

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 12:20:39 AM
]

So, can I ask a question, with great respect, because I really would like to learn?
How would would a "queer romantic asexual relationship" differ from plain old close friends?

For me, my feelings for my family and friends is platonic love, while my feelings for a boyfriend/girlfriend/nonbinary-mate is romantic. ^^

--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 06:34:59 PM

How would would a "queer romantic asexual relationship" differ from plain old close friends?

For me, my feelings for my family and friends is platonic love, while my feelings for a boyfriend/girlfriend/nonbinary-mate is romantic. ^^

Could I ask for more words to explain this? I understand that you make this distinction, but what I don't understand is why. What makes feelings for a "mate" romantic when there is no sex involved, but feelings for a friend not romantic? For me, a mate is someone I want to mate with, meaning have sex with and build a life together. I also have very close friends, of both genders, with whom I'd be quite happy to build a life together, but don't want to have sex with (BTW, I think this was the kind of relationship the MC and android had in this story). By your definition, does that mean I have romantic, but not sexual, feelings for those friends?  I am asking because I am honestly trying to understand.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 09:43:53 PM

Could I ask for more words to explain this? I understand that you make this distinction, but what I don't understand is why. What makes feelings for a "mate" romantic when there is no sex involved, but feelings for a friend not romantic? For me, a mate is someone I want to mate with, meaning have sex with and build a life together. I also have very close friends, of both genders, with whom I'd be quite happy to build a life together, but don't want to have sex with (BTW, I think this was the kind of relationship the MC and android had in this story). By your definition, does that mean I have romantic, but not sexual, feelings for those friends?  I am asking because I am honestly trying to understand.

I would go into this if it wasn't egregiously off-topic in this part of the forum. Instead I will point you to the many, many articles about this, especially written by asexuals/aromatics, and you may come to your own conclusions. In the end, the distinction is very subjective. Here's a couple I specifically liked.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/living-single/201710/s-so-aromantic
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/05/fashion/asexual-and-happy.html
http://asexualityexists.tumblr.com/post/45718321577/platonic-love-is-a-problematic-term

--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 05:53:15 AM
Thank you so much Katzentatzen for the reading list. Sometimes it's hard to know where to even begin. This will help immensely.

And I agree this is somewhat off topic, but I was hoping it would pass, since we were discussing what kind of relationship the MC's had. Yah... right?  ;)

Happyspoon

• Extern
Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 04:28:51 PM
Very interesting episode and a cool thread too! Lots to read up on