Author Topic: PseudoPod 579: All My Nightmares Are Named Heather  (Read 3796 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: January 30, 2018, 02:36:45 AM
PseudoPod 579: All My Nightmares Are Named Heather

by Mário Coelho
Narrated by Maui Threv

Show Notes

One night I woke up talking to myself, whispering the title of this story. That was the embryo, and now you’re reading the full creature. This is for those who know insomnia and what it is to never have a dreamless night.

Dedicated to Marcos. Sleep well, my friend.

She’s always this close when I wake up, less than a palm’s distance bridging our noses. Big eyes, darker than this penumbra. Pupils lightly flickering, like the TV static behind us. In these roadside motel rooms, everything rustles and murmurs. The carpet is pregnant with aborted cigarette butts and dead smells—sweat and barely washed bedding.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 03:58:45 PM by danooli »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:20:01 PM
This was very harrowing! Having to stay awake and not sleep is scary, and the thought of losing memories as well, what can you do? These kind of stories freak me out in a good way.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:11 PM
Blech, that scene with the teeth was intense. Interesting take on monsters and/or bad relationships. Sam's book hints that the monster that was Sarah had killed more than just Heather. We commit our short term memories into long term when we sleep, maybe that is why the loss of his nightmares to the moster messed up all of Sam's memories?

MarioCoelho

• Extern
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:23:54 PM
Hey, Katzentatzen and Ichneumon! Just caught this now, in a bout of narcissistic self-googling. (Or maybe I'm lying and I've been refreshing this page for the last couple of months as I procrastinate on finishing my novel.)

Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Sam's book hints that the monster that was Sarah had killed more than just Heather.

Good catch. I tried to leave enough hints so that the reader could figure out the backstory, but I also wanted it to be kind of open for interpretation, because I have commitment issues.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 06:35:10 PM
So glad you lurked over here! I comment for other listeners of the story, but also because I know sometimes you writers will shamble your way to this forum, and I always want to express my appreciation and enthusiasm for a craft that means so much to me.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN