Author Topic: PC507: The Rocket Farmer  (Read 2250 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: January 30, 2018, 07:59:37 PM
PodCastle 507: The Rocket Farmer

Rated PG-13 Take cover: contains more than 5 F-bombs.

Julie C. Day’s fiction has appeared or is forthcoming in over two dozen venues, including Interzone, PodCastle, and Kaleidotrope. She holds an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Southern Maine’s Stonecoast program and a Masters of Science in Microbiology from the University of Massachusetts. In addition to PodCastle, she narrates other people’s fiction at StarshipSofa and FarFetchedFables and also acts as host and narrator of the Small Beer Press podcast. You can find Julie on Twitter @thisjulieday or through her website: www.stillwingingit.com.

Lisa Hicks is an audiobook narrator for ACX-Audible, a voice coach and a theatre director. She also teaches theatre studies at an international school in Waterloo, Belgium. In her spare time, she loves to take long walks, buds firmly planted in ears, listening to audiobooks and podcasts.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:28:51 PM by Fenrix »

irishlazz

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:26:54 AM
The narration really took away from this story.  I enjoyed it much more by reading it.  Interesting way to get to space!!  I like the idea, be interested to see how far they go.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein

Jethro's belt

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:38:32 AM
I kept waiting for a big reveal and just felt trapped in a giant metaphor.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:05:07 PM
I couldn't follow this at all in audio form, but the images of rockets sprouting from fields were charming. Kind of wish they could have got an Asian-American voice actor, and more than one to represent the different characters? I didn't know that Sophie had a perspective until I read the text. After consuming the story visually, I love that what the rocket needed was a fellow traveler, not someone who would use it as a weapon. 

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:01:12 PM
I had no problem with the narration, but had trouble figuring out what sort of world this story was set in. It's like ours, with NASA and engineered rockets, but also grown (biological?) ones? Is it the farmer's belief that makes them grow? Maybe I am taking the story too literally.