Author Topic: PC508: The Ravens’ Sister  (Read 3243 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 06, 2018, 11:12:40 PM
PodCastle 508: The Ravens’ Sister

Rated PG-13 for war and all its wounds and sorrow.

Natalia Theodoridou is a media & cultural studies scholar currently based in Exeter, UK. She is also the dramaturge of Adrift Performance Makers (@AdriftPM). Her fiction has appeared in Clarkesworld, Shimmer, Apex, and elsewhere. Her story “Every Black Tree” is forthcoming in Beneath Ceaseless Skies.

Tanja Milojevic is originally from Serbia but has been in the U.S. since the age of 5. She has been voice acting since her senior year of high school and can be heard all over including Koach Studios’ Ancestry, You Are Here, 11th Hours’ Heavenly Deception, What’s the Frequency, Broken Sea Audio Productions, Greater Boston, 19 Nocturne Boulevard, and Edict Zero. She produces her own radio dramas and posts them to her podcast LightningBolt Theater of the mind (click the link – we dare you). She says “I’m visually impaired and have ROP and Glaucoma, but use gold wave and Sound Forge to record and post-produce my audio.”

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

irishlazz

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:18:50 PM
Personally I don't care for stories that keep changing the story line.  First the brothers are all dead.  Then they are all ghosts.  Then they die individually.  But not all of them.  Or was the one with the broken wing still dead?  In spite of my personal issues with this type of story, the imagery and narrative drew me in and kept me going.  I know that outside of the ugliness of war the story told and remembered takes on many different forms, morphing over time because the truth is often too horrible.  I suppose this embodies a little bit of that.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 05:53:16 PM
The story of the girl whose seven brothers are turned into swans has always haunted me. I loved the ptsd allegory.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:13:05 PM
At the end of The Life of Pi,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think the different versions of the brothers' story is kind of like that. What did the sister want to believe, what did she know to be true? Which was the story she could make peace with?
I had to google The Seven Ravens. Many aspects of the story made more sense after that.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 02:59:56 AM
I had a really hard time following the formatting in audio. Popping over for the text helped me understand the point of it.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”