Author Topic: PC519: Burning Season  (Read 1788 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: April 25, 2018, 02:01:36 AM
PodCastle 519: Burning Season

Rated PG-13 for things unspeakable.

A PodCastle original!

C. L. Clark - Cherae graduated from Indiana University’s creative writing MFA. She’s been a personal trainer, an English teacher, and an editor, and is some combination thereof as she travels the world with her partner. When she’s not writing or working, she’s learning languages, doing P90something, or reading about war and [post-]colonial history. Her work has also appeared or is forthcoming in FIYAH and Uncanny.

Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali lives in Houston, Texas, with her husband and three children. By day she works as a breast oncology nurse. At all other times she juggles, none too successfully, writing, reading, gaming, and gardening. She has written one novel entitled An Unproductive Woman available on Amazon. She has also been published in or has stories upcoming in Escape Pod, Diabolical Plots, and FIYAH. Khaalidah also co-edits podcastle.org where she is on a mission to encourage more women to submit fantasy stories. Of her alter ego, K from the planet Vega, it is rumored that she owns a time machine and knows the secret to long youth. She can be found online at khaalidah.com and on Twitter at @khaalidah.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

pattsmayo

• Extern
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:58:28 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!  :o
I am crying.
For a time we burned.
Lord have mercy on me.
This was, this left me crying.
It was a beautiful song, a beautiful day, a beautiful dinner, a beautiful gesture all put together and left on my doorstep.
It was hard but easy to see both sides of the story.
Its hard to stand in the middle and see both sides when you can see yourself choosing one or the other and feel justified after your decision.
Thank you so much for this.
Just made my weekend.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:30:39 PM
I cry for all of the cultures that have been oppressed as a result of colonization. Restriction of knowledge, censorship: it’s clear there is more than one way to burn a book. Here’s a song this story reminded me of, it’s about betraying a trusted friend so you can live. I don’t know if I feel she did the right thing.
https://youtu.be/j47lkX6WtHA

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN