Author Topic: PC510: My Heart is a Prayer  (Read 2019 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:46 AM
PodCastle 510: My Heart is a Prayer

Content warning for the death of a child.

Previously published by Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores.

Ryan Row’s fiction has appeared in Clarkesworld, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Shimmer, and elsewhere. He is a winner of the Writers of the Future Award. He holds a B.A. in Creative Writing from San Francisco State University, and is pursuing an M.A. in Creative Writing at the University of California, Davis. He lives in Sacramento, California with a beautiful and mysterious woman. You can find him online at ryanrow.com.

Tina Connolly is the author of the Ironskin trilogy from Tor Books, and the Seriously Wicked series from Tor Teen. Her novels have been finalists for the Nebula and the Norton. Her very first Escape Pod appearance was in #209, when “On the Eyeball Floor” was narrated by Norm Sherman, and she’s been providing narration for PodCastle since our miniature episode 23, about 8 months prior to her first publication with Escape Pod. Her stories are collected in On the Eyeball Floor and Other Stories, from Fairwood Press. She is one of the current co-hosts of Escape Pod, and her narrations have appeared all over.

She is extremely delighted to have had both her stories and her narrations featured on all four Escape Artists podcasts. Find her intermittent, Parsec-winning flash fiction podcast at Toasted Cake, or find her at tinaconnolly.com.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

MarcusC

• Extern
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:47:51 AM
I think this one is going on my list of the best of 2018. I really enjoyed the poetry, the earnest emotion, and the Frankenstein parallel.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 12:07:58 AM
Such a wonderful and haunting Frankenstein retelling. I figured they were screwed when it was revealed that the soon-to-be occupant of the golem is basically the antichrist, but I loved the open-ended finish, and the possibility that the parent's love and grief were enough to mold the soul as well as the body. Stellar narration by Tina as well.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN