Author Topic: CoW Ep. 296: Canary’s Refuge - Artemis Rising 4  (Read 2467 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: March 20, 2018, 05:31:53 PM
Cast of Wonders 296: Artemis Rising 4 – Canary’s Refuge

• Author: Wendy Nikel
• Narrator: Nadia Niaz
• Hosts: Sandra M. Odell
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter
• Artist : Geneva Benton
Cast of Wonders 296: Canary’s Refuge is a Cast of Wonders original.
Click here to listen to Episode 296

Wendy Nikel is a speculative fiction author with a degree in elementary education, a fondness for road trips, and a terrible habit of forgetting where she’s left her cup of tea. Her short fiction has been published by Fantastic Stories of the Imagination, Daily Science Fiction, Nature: Futures, and elsewhere. Her time travel novella, The Continuum, was published by World Weaver Press in January 2018. For more info, visit wendynikel.com, Facebook or Twitter.

Nadia Niaz is a writer, academic, creative writing teacher, language nerd and editor who is mostly from Melbourne but still a little bit from lots of other places. When she’s not working with words, she’s usually dancing. Visit her website or on Twitter.

“Feels good to finally be off that blasted ship.” Ben breathes in so deeply that his shoulder rubs against my bare one, a touch so slight I wonder if I only imagined it.

The elevator rattles as it carries us down the mineshaft, into the depths of this planet whose name I can’t even remember. Maybe it doesn’t have one. Not that it matters. They’re all the same as far as we’re concerned: barren hunks of mineral deposits, surrounded by unbreathable atmosphere. They’re ugly, cold, and unwelcoming, without a thing to make us want to remain on their surfaces. Without a hope of survival if we did.

Tags: AI, Artemis Rising, Artemis Rising 4, cyborgs, dystopia, identity, Nadia Niaz, Sandra M. Odell, Science Fiction, scifi, Space Opera, survival, Wendy Nikel
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 05:24:26 PM by danooli »

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:46:58 AM
Not only was this a fun, engaging story, the representation of the MC as a cyborg harkens in its own way to representation of those with disabilities who make use of assistive devices.  Well done all around.