Author Topic: PC514, ARTEMIS RISING: My Heart the Bullet in the Chamber  (Read 2264 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
PodCastle 514, ARTEMIS RISING: My Heart the Bullet in the Chamber

Rated R for shootin’, cussin’, and rollin’ in the hay.

A PodCastle original!

Stephanie Charette is a raven-brained science fiction and fantasy nerd from the wilds of Canada. She’s an alum of Viable Paradise (Go Fifteeners!) and Taos Toolbox 2017. A cat fancier, tea sniffer, and wallflower with a taste for whisky, she’ll be off hoarding office supplies but not before asking you where you got that pen. Just don’t let her borrow it.

Robin McLeavy is an actress best known for her work on AMC’s hit Western series HELL ON WHEELS. On the show she played the character of Eva, who was based on a real woman who was captured by Native Americans and given a chin tattoo to mark her as one of their own. On the show Eva starts as a prostitute who then forms a relationship with Elam, a freed slave, played by Common. By the end of the series Eva is running a brothel, and although relatively wealthy and independent, she eventually realizes that her true home is out in the wild with her horse, who she names Maat Kwissa Atev, meaning FREE SPIRIT in Mohave.

Originally from Australia, Robin trained at the National Institute of Dramatic Art, and one of her career highlights has been performing at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in a production of A Streetcar Named Desire starring as Stella opposite Cate Blanchett as Blanche and Joel Edgerton as Stanley, and directed by the legendary Liv Ullmann.

Robin lives in Los Angeles, and is currently writing and producing a feature film about her late friend and Aussie rock’n’roll icon, Chrissy Amphlett of the DIVINYLS.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Onikaze

• Extern
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 07:33:56 PM
I thought this story tragic in its depiction of unnecessary death, all escalating from an insult. A beautifully told tale of opportunities wasted because of violent culture.

“You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.”
-Inigo Montoya

“When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
-Humpty Dumpty \

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 03:47:16 AM
The story was brutal and dark, with lots of meaty layers to unpack. The narration was fantastic!

Also holy shit Robin was Lola in "The Loved Ones." Not recommended for the faint of heart. This may be as close as you want to get: http://www.facultyofhorror.com/2017/07/episode-52-the-dark-side-of-oz-wolf-creek-2005-and-the-loved-ones-2009/

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 04:13:36 PM
The division of labor in the compound was interesting. Women who will not interact with children are the ones who carry them, and women who don't (can't) have children raise them. I wouldn't want to live there.