Author Topic: CoW Ep. 298: Pocosin (And Ep. 345!)  (Read 3599 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: April 04, 2018, 09:11:00 PM
Cast of Wonders 298: Pocosin

Also, Episode 345! A Staff Pick for 2018! Hosted by associate editor, Alicia Caporaso

• Author: Ursula Vernon
• Narrator: Eden Royce
• Host: Marguerite Kenner
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter
• Cast of Wonders 298: Pocosin was originally published in Apex Magazine (January 2015)
Click here to listen to Episode 298
Click here to listen to Episode 345

Ursula Vernon is the author of many children’s books, the Hugo Award winning comic “Digger,” and the Nebula Award winning story “Jackalope Wives.” She writes books for adults under the name T. Kingfisher, including “The Seventh Bride,” “The Raven & The Reindeer” and the latest, a web-serial entitled “Summer in Orcus.” Visit her website or follow her on Twitter.

Eden Royce is descended from women who practiced root, a type of conjure magic in her native Charleston, South Carolina. She is the recipient of the Speculative Literature Foundation’s Diverse Worlds grant and her fiction can be found at PodCastle, Fireside Fiction, Abyss & Apex, and FIYAH Literary Magazine of Black Speculative fiction. Her website can be found here and you can follow her Twitter feed as well.

This is the place of the carnivores, the pool ringed with sundews and the fat funnels of the pitcher plants.

This is the place where the ground never dries out and the loblolly pines grow stunted, where the soil is poor and the plants turn to other means of feeding themselves.

This is the place where the hairstreak butterflies flow sleekly through the air and you can hear insect feet drumming inside the bowl of the pitcher plants.

This is the place where the old god came to die.

Show Notes From The Author: Pocosins are a type of raised peat wetland found almost exclusively in the Carolinas. The name derives from an Eastern Algonquian word meaning “swamp on a hill.” They are a rare and unique ecosystem, today widely threatened by development.

Tags:  bargains, Cast of Wonders, deals, death, devil, Eden Royce, Fantasy, gods, help, Jeremy Carter, magic, persuasion, protection, responsibility, tired, Ursula Vernon, wetlands, whiskey, wisdom, witchcraft, work, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:23:06 PM by danooli »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 03:51:50 AM
Ooh! Eugie Award finalist! I remember reading this. I can't wait to hear it!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Obleo21

• Matross
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 02:26:45 PM
Very well done and very well read. It doesn't at all seem YA to me, but I'm glad it was picked up and produced.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:27:21 PM
It doesn't at all seem YA to me

We take a very different approach to YA than most, as our submission guidelines state.

Here's an excerpt:

What We’re Looking For
Stories that evoke a sense of wonder, have deep emotional resonance, and have something unreal about them. We aim for a 12-17 age range: that means sophisticated, non-condescending stories with wide appeal, and without gratuitous or explicit sex, violence or pervasive obscene language. Think Harry Potter or The Hunger Games.

and another

Does My Story Have To Be About Young Adults?
Absolutely not! A good story appeals to all ages. We define YA as the absence of the adult elements described above, not as stories featuring children or young adult characters.

As our assistant editor Katherine has said, IMO, there's nothing MORE YA than death/rebirth/a phase change of the self."

We're thrilled you like the story and production!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:28:01 PM by danooli »