Author Topic: PseudoPod 589: Flash On The Borderlands XLII: Misanthropes  (Read 4529 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 589: Flash On The Borderlands XLII: Misanthropes

Authors: Jack London, Melissa Snark and Sam Gorenstein
Narrators: B.J. Harrison, Tad Callin and The Kaz
Host: Alasdair Stuart

A Bar Story originally appeared on The Snarkology during the October 2014 Halloween Hop. It has since been reposted to Melissa’s author website as a free read.

Moon Face was first published in The Argonaut, July 21, 1902

Edgar is a Pseudopod Original.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 07:01:54 AM
All were excellent stories.

Of the three, "Moon Face" was my favorite and the reading superb.

Glad to have Alasdair back at the helm.

Metalsludge

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:45:21 PM
Alasdair often seems to add a lot of perspective to the older stories presented here, as he did with Oil of Dog. So it was here. I have often been puzzled by the constant romantization of jerk characters on TV. It has almost become a cliche of late.

The Moon-Face story certainly had a Poe-like flavor to it. Funny how so many of London's stories end up intersecting with dogs somehow though. I always thought his dog story Diable would make a good fit for Pseudopod, as it leans nearly into straight horror.

cwthree

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:13:37 PM
All three stories were beautifully read. "Moon Face" was downright upsetting because of the harm to the dogs.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
"Moon Face" was the best, I couldn't help but grin when I realized what the protagonist was planning. Haven't we all had someone we irrationally hated, no matter how nice and good we are?

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

South of No North

• Matross
  • Oneironaut and Alchymist
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 03:46:43 AM
I listened to this over the weekend, enjoyed the voice and character laugh of Moonface.

Until, at the Gym today, I heard the laugh and constant upbeat voice of Moonface in real life. It was a perfect duplicate. He remained unseen on the other side of a bank of lockers, but continued his ceaseless jovality and wheezing cackle.
I was glad that person doesn't pass by on a daily basis or I would have to start the rigorous training of a dog to play fetch.

"Yes, of course I can blame you. Without them, where would all of us outlaws be? What would we have? Only a lawless paradise...and paradise is a bore. Violence without violation is only noise heard by no one, the most horrendous sound in the universe." --The Chymist by Thomas Ligotti

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 05:00:54 PM
Moonface was great and terrible, because it the main character was a horrible person, but clever and relatable in many ways. I have indeed known people in the past that just infuriated me for no logical reason. Looking back now, maybe it was partially jealousy. I think the narrator was also jealous of Moonface. You don't want to admire him but wow, perfect crime. He could never be caught for that.   

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 12:33:02 AM
Excellent reading of Moon Face. I was expecting the main character's plan to boomerang on him Wile E. Coyote style.