Author Topic: Arthur C. Clarke Award  (Read 6526 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: January 21, 2007, 11:49:06 PM
Just got this press release from Tom Hunter, who knew me from a guest editorial I did for Matrix, the BSFA's magazine:

Press Release: 21.01.07

Jon Courtenay Grimwood, M. John Harrison, Lydia Millet, Jan Morris, Adam Roberts and Brian Stableford are the six authors shortlisted for the Arthur C. Clarke Award 2007, the UK’s premier prize for science fiction literature.

The shortlist was announced on 20th January as part of an event held in Soho, London to thank supporters and friends of the award.

The six shortlisted books are:

End of the World Blues: Jon Courtenay Grimwood – Gollancz
Nova Swing: M. John Harrison – Gollancz
Oh Pure and Radiant Heart: Lydia Millet – William Heinemann
Hav: Jan Morris – Faber & Faber
Gradisil: Adam Roberts – Gollancz
Streaking: Brian Stableford – P.S. Publishing

Tom Hunter, administrator for the Arthur C. Clarke Award commented:

“This year’s shortlist stands as a snapshot of the best of the UK’s science fictional literature: it’s a list that makes clear our ongoing fascination with future possibilities and the power of human imagination, and it echoes the rich heritage that the Arthur C. Clarke Award has created since its inception in 1986.”

A prize of £2007 will be awarded to the winner along with a commemorative engraved booked.
The annual award is presented for the best science fiction novel of the year, and selected from a list of novels whose UK first edition was published in the previous calendar year. 

The winner will be announced on Wednesday 2nd May at an awards ceremony held on the opening night of the Sci-Fi-London Film Festival: www.sci-fi-london.com

The Award was originally established by a generous grant from Sir Arthur C. Clarke with the aim of promoting science fiction in Britain, and is currently administered by the Serendip Foundation with Sir Arthur continuing to donate a cash prize via Rocket Publishing, his UK representatives.

The judging panel for the 2007 Arthur C. Clarke Award are Niall Harrison and Claire Weaver for the British Science Fiction Association, Pat Cadigan and Graham Sleight for the Science Fiction Foundation and Dave Palmer for the Science Museum. Paul Billinger represents the Arthur C. Clarke Award as the Chair of Judges.

Press Notes:
•   For further information please contact Award Administrator Tom Hunter on 07779 280 771 or email clarkeaward@gmail.com

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:45:39 AM
OK people,

That's our list of people to hound. Start sending emails saying,"Wonderful stuff, you should really do EP." As people find the right email addresses post them here.

Ryuujin

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 12:17:08 PM
Getting these would be neater than neat, really.

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 01:29:01 AM
Gradisil: Adam Roberts – Gollancz

Not at all surprised to see this on the list.  I enjoyed it a great deal.

The plot doesn't exactly grip but that's actually a strength: it's written as a history of the next hundred years of space colonization, as told (with varying degrees of reliability) by some of the key players.  With some adequately plausible SF hand-waving he has the big government agencies wrong-footed by individuals, so it's very rich (or really single-minded) private citizens who inhabit the Uplands.  But he's too smart to do it as a simple retread of the Wild West, and it left me with a real sense of this-is-how-it-could-really-happen.

Very original, very plausible characters (with realistic, distinct voices) and some truly fine writing.

Emotionally it didn't do much for me.  I don't think I'd call it a favourite book, or go back and read it again.  But it really burned some images and ideas into my mind.  I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.