Author Topic: EP623: Surveillance Fatigue  (Read 4382 times)

eytanz

on: April 14, 2018, 07:49:45 PM
Escape Pod 623: Surveillance Fatigue

AUTHOR : Jennifer R. Donohue
NARRATOR : Diane Severson Mori
HOST: S. B. Divya

---

Is this woman a terrorist? It’s my job to decide.

My typical first step is social media, before I delve into the emails, the school records. Fortified with overbrewed office coffee, I take an afternoon and read through all three years of her 140-character thoughts, brief conversations with other users, occasional pictures. We’re encouraged to have our own process, and my entire workload, the entire organization’s workload, takes place on glowing screens large and small. We are constantly reading, listening, watching, bionic earbuds ensconced, AR glasses feeding us a constant stream of information. At the end of the day, we stumble out into natural light like people waking from a dream. The building which houses the organization is officially something too boring to look at twice, data storage or legal processing, office upon shell office of generic secretaries designed to deflect public inquiry.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

skeletondragon

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 03:54:36 AM
It's hard to write good dystopian fiction when we're already living in a dystopia, and part of that is because of surveillance fatigue - the panopticon no longer seems as horrifying. So what? We already joke about the NSA agent watching us through our webcam without our knowledge. This story captures that so well.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 03:37:12 AM
This was extremely effective, and I felt the ending like a knife.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 02:44:59 PM
I liked the body of this story very much, but I didn't like the ending. Sorry, but I really need more explanation.....

"D"

• Extern
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:44:16 PM
Good story, but the ending confused me. Was the agent being tested, and if so, how did the agency determine she was a threat? The subject didn't sound like she was in on it, but that wasn't clear either. Maybe the agent was being pulled from the field before she could blow her cover? This ending really left me unsatisfied.

RexMagenta

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 12:52:37 PM
The point of the ending, I think, is that despite her inside knowledge the agent is still vulnerable to surveillance fatigue like anyone else. She's so busy looking into her target's life that she forgets someone else will be watching hers.

It's fun to stay at the \o/ <o> (o_ /o\

Pronouns: she/her