Author Topic: Contest rules and submission link!  (Read 11208 times)

eytanz

on: April 15, 2018, 04:47:30 PM
Escape Pod’s Flash Fiction contest returns to the Solar System this year, and it lands on April 15!

Submissions will run from April 15-30, 2018, via this link on Submittable:

https://escapepod.submittable.com/submit/52382/escape-pod-flash-fiction-contest-2018

To be a valid submission to the contest, each story must adhere to the following rules:

1. The story must be no more than 500 words long, not including its title. Do not use the title to skirt around the word count. Word count will be determined using Google Docs. Each author may submit only ONE story.

2. The story must adhere to the general Escape Pod submission guidelines. Most importantly, it needs to be a science fiction story; other genres, including horror and fantasy, are discouraged. As a general rule, we will take a very liberal view of what constitutes science fiction, but authors should note that experience shows that stories that attempt to skirt the genre restriction tend to fare badly in the voting.

3. The story must be original and previously unpublished. Stories will be posted on a members-only portion of the forum (http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php), so first publication rights will not be spent if your story does not win. If you are not sure whether your story counts as published or not (for example, if an earlier version has appeared on your blog but nowhere else), please write (PM or send a query to eytan@escapeartists.net with the subject line “QUERY”) and ask before submitting. Please do not submit stories that have been entries in a previous Escape Artists contest.

4. The person submitting the story must be the story’s author (or acting for the author with express permission) and hold full publishing rights to the story. A story that is derived from a previously published work in another format (i.e. not a short story) is fine (assuming doing so isn’t in violation of copyright, obviously).

5. The story must be submitted in its final form, as the author intends it to be read by the voting public. We may or may not allow minor typo corrections if those slip in, but as a general rule, we will not allow authors to submit changes to stories, especially not after submissions are closed.

6. The title and the text must be included in the body of the submission. Any byline will be stripped when the stories are posted in the contest, and will be revealed when either the story fails to advance, or ultimately wins. Feel free to request a pseudonym for the byline, but we will need a legal name if you win for prize purposes.

7. Authors under 18 are welcome. By submitting, any author under 18 asserts they have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian with whom Escape Artists, Inc. can enter into a contract on behalf of the author.

8. Winners will be paid $30, making this a pro sale of at least six cents a word.

Please blog, tweet, email, send postcards, telephone, summon demons, and otherwise get the word out.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:44:07 PM by eytanz »

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:00:29 AM
Yeah! I'm in! Am I first? What do I win?  ;)

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

eytanz

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:00:45 AM
Yeah! I'm in! Am I first? What do I win?  ;)

You were actually the seventh person to submit :)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:48:58 PM
Yay!! I love the flash fiction contest. Can't wait to read all the amazing submissions.

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:29:48 PM

You were actually the seventh person to submit :)

Awww, boo! On the other hand, I can't wait to read all those stories :)

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

DrewBear

• Extern
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:11:52 AM
I have a question about rule 6: when you say "the body of the submission", are you referring to the cover letter field or to the uploaded file? I want to make sure I do this correctly.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 03:55:01 PM
I have a question about rule 6: when you say "the body of the submission", are you referring to the cover letter field or to the uploaded file? I want to make sure I do this correctly.
They mean in the uploaded file itself.  Basically, assume that lighting hits a server and the list of who uploaded a story gets lost.  Having the title and author in the story itself makes it possible to credit appropriately, and it's removed manually before the story is posted.

eytanz

Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 04:35:28 PM
Actually, that wording was put in back in early contests when submissions were made over email, and if the story title was only placed in the subject line then there was a greater chance of words going missing or something else going wrong due to the eccentricities of email clients. But it does still make things a bit easier on the contest runner (me), partially because it's easier to copy&paste the title from inside the submission than from the title field.

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:38:25 AM
If I’m over the word limit can I just remove all the spaces from the 400 extra words and just call it one word?

bladestalker

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 07:43:49 PM
If I’m over the word limit can I just remove all the spaces from the 400 extra words and just call it one word?

I think that makes something in German.

Nolan Void

• Extern
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 04:48:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I just joined the EA Forum - and EA itself - after finding out about the contest last week.  I submitted my story earlier this evening and I'm looking forward to reading some of the other submissions.

As I mentioned in my cover letter, I'm an alternate-science fiction writer looking for publication of my short stories and screenplays.  I'm also looking to connect with fellow authors to offer support and chat in general about genre fiction.

Thanks for having me!

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 05:36:31 PM

I think that makes something in German.

Can confirm.  My favorite:  Eierlegenden Wolmilchesau.  Literally "Egg laying, wool bearing milk pig" and used as a description of a magical animal that's a term for a jack of all trades.

Re: story, I've got a story sitting at 99% that just doesn't have me satisfied.  I feel like I'm gonna poke it with a stick right up until the deadline tonight and finally submit it with the same enthusiasm I use to schedule doctor appointments and gym visits.

DoWhileNot

• Matross
    • doWhilenot.wordpress.com
Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 06:30:21 PM
I just went ahead and ripped the band-aid off and submitted my rough draft and ignored all of Word's complaints about my spelling and grammar. 

"Wordiness (consider changing)"
"Passive Voice (consider revising)"

Also, doesn't Word know that every word counts, and I'm not going to change, "Can't" into Can Not when it might push me over 500?

Yeesh.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 08:42:49 PM
In the land of 500 word stories, NOT aggressively using you'dn't've, I'dn't've, and it'dn't've is like leaving money on the table.

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 02:22:13 AM
In the land of 500 word stories, NOT aggressively using you'dn't've, I'dn't've, and it'dn't've is like leaving money on the table.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. At least one other person will be able to read what I've submitted.

mloc

• Extern
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 07:46:56 AM
Hi there. I just joined the EA forum. Good luck for the contest, everyone! I submitted a piece myself yesterday, so let's see  :)

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-
Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:22 AM
So... Any bets on the number of entries?

Not the droid you're looking for.

Feverwood

• Hipparch
Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 09:56:51 AM
So... Any bets on the number of entries?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nolan Void

• Extern
Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 12:29:21 PM
Hi there. I just joined the EA forum. Good luck for the contest, everyone! I submitted a piece myself yesterday, so let's see  :)

I'm a newcomer myself.  Good luck to you and everyone else! :)

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-
Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 03:06:37 PM
Ha! My guess was 112, and it looks like 114!

Not the droid you're looking for.

JimboCreatine

• Extern
Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 05:33:24 PM
My guess was 114.

Feverwood

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 12:44:29 PM
I’m glad I was wrong. We look forward to reading what was submitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magicpen

• Extern
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 01:41:23 AM
I can't wait to read submissions

Heat16

• Extern
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 02:44:42 PM
Looking forward to the entries of this contest!

samurox

• Extern
Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 10:01:28 PM
I think I just missed it