Author Topic: CoW Ep. 300: The Death Knight, the Dragon and the Damsel  (Read 4721 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Cast of Wonders 300: The Death Knight, the Dragon and the Damsel

• Author: Melion Traverse
• Narrators: Dani Daly, Graeme Dunlop, Katherine Inskip and Cheyenne Wright
• Host: Marguerite Kenner
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter
Cast of Wonders 300: The Death Knight, the Dragon and the Damsel is a Cast of Wonders original.
Click here to listen to Episode 300

Melion Traverse lives with one spouse, two dogs and an acceptable amount of chaos. Melion’s works have appeared in, or are forthcoming in, Fantasy Scroll Magazine, Deep Magic, Havok, T. Gene Davis’s Speculative Blog, and Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores. When not writing, Melion plays with swords, practices martial arts, and blogs haphazardly.

Graeme Dunlop is a Software Solution Architect. Despite his somewhat mixed accent, he was born in Australia. He loves the spoken word and believes it has the ability to lift the printed word above and beyond cold words on a page. He and Barry J. Northern founded Cast of Wonders in 2011 and can be found narrating or hosting the occasional episode, or working on projects behind the scenes. He has read stories for all of Escape Artists podcasts. Graeme lives in Melbourne, Australia with his wife Amanda, and crazy boy dog, Jake. Follow him on Twitter.

Cheyenne Wright is a freelance illustrator and concept artist. He is the color artist on the three-time Hugo Award winning steampunk graphic novel series Girl Genius, and co-creator of many other fine works; Including 50 Fathoms and the Ennie award winning Deadlands Noir for the Savage Worlds RPG. He has also produced graphics for Star Trek Online, the Champions MMO, and t-shirt designs for T.V.’s Alton Brown. Cheyenne lives in Seattle with his wife, their daughter, and an ever growing stack of unpainted miniatures. In his spare time he is teaching himself animation, and narrates short stories for a variety of venues where he is known as Podcasting’s Mr. Buttery ManVoice, and is an EA Storyteller.

Cold afternoon light stretched in thin patches on the stone floor of the great hall. Jaw and guts tight and trembling, I stood at attention with twenty other squires, armor clean and new as our hopeful futures. For four years, we had trained with sword and shield under the patronage of Duke Amlick. Four years tinged in blood and exhaustion. All for the hope that one of the knights roaming among our lines would pick us from the group like a hound pup plucked from its litter. Twenty squires and only twelve knights—Duke Amlick believed his knights ought to have options. Eight of us would go home with tails between our legs.

Tags: Cast of Wonders, Cheyenne Wright, damsel, danger, Dani Daly, dragon, employment, Fantasy, Graeme Dunlop, growing up, High Fantasy, Melion Traverse, night, peril, questing, squire, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:29:55 PM by danooli »

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Loved this one. The twist was twisty enough that I didn't quite see it coming, but it made perfect sense when it did, so that's awesome. I'd love to read more of the adventures of Cori and Sir Cedric. And the dragon, for that matter.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

caputdraconis

• Extern
Loved the back and forth between Cori (sp?) and the Death Knight. The story had the unexpected feel of a buddy road trip, and I mean that in the best way. Their rapport was immediate.

Michael W. Cho

• Palmer
Very enjoyable story! Melion took some well-worn fantasy elements and really made them her own.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:59:23 PM
Excellent fun!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”