Author Topic: EP624: Fandom for Robots  (Read 4358 times)

eytanz

on: April 25, 2018, 12:31:40 PM
Escape Pod 624: Fandom for Robots

AUTHOR : Vina Jie-Min Prasad
NARRATOR : Trendane Sparks
HOST: Tina Connolly

---

Computron feels no emotion towards the animated television show titled Hyperdimension Warp Record (超次元 ワープ レコード). After all, Computron does not have any emotion circuits installed, and is thus constitutionally incapable of experiencing ‘excitement’, ‘hatred’, or ‘frustration’. It is completely impossible for Computron to experience emotions such as ‘excitement about the seventh episode of HyperWarp‘, ‘hatred of the anime’s short episode length’ or ‘frustration that Friday is so far away’.

Computron checks his internal chronometer, as well as the countdown page on the streaming website. There are twenty-two hours, five minutes, forty-six seconds, and twelve milliseconds until 2 am on Friday (Japanese Standard Time). Logically, he is aware that time is most likely passing at a normal rate. The Simak Robotics Museum is not within close proximity of a black hole, and there is close to no possibility that time is being dilated. His constant checking of the chronometer to compare it with the countdown page serves no scientific purpose whatsoever.

After fifty milliseconds, Computron checks the countdown page again.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Dangskippy

• Extern
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:14:42 PM
This was fun! I was able to sit back and enjoy this light hearted story. Well, I felt it was light hearted. Made me happy

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 06:46:22 PM
That story was totally adorbs.

cwthree

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:12:14 PM
I listened to this one back-to-back with "A Study in Symmetry" (EP619). It was interesting to listen to these two stories of the developing relationship between a human and a non-biological sentient entity.

Of the two, I enjoyed this one more. I found myself unexpectedly sympathizing with the antique robot relegated (retired? put out to pasture?) to performing in a sort of dog-and-pony show at the museum instead of the research work for which it was created, and rattling around entertaining itself after hours. I liked the way there was no big "Surprise, I'm a robot!" reveal to the fanfic community - everyone simply assumes that RobotFan is just another fan who's deeply into his character. The depiction of other members of the fandom was excellent, entertaining, and utterly believable.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 03:42:35 AM
This was wicked cute! Also as I've been reading fanfic for more than a decade, that was written with a very high degree of accuracy. Also, HELLO! The anime has a transmasculine protagonist! Hell yes

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 02:51:22 PM
I loved the way the android in this story really grew and evolved. Spectacular! And the interactions of the robot on line were fabulous. As cwthree pointed out, it was great how the fandom casually accepted this as the robot just being a fellow geek in character. Awesome fun!

Only one complaint. I want more!!!  :) :) :)

Jen

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 05:07:15 PM
In real life I don't really "get" fanfiction, but this story was adorable. I'm a bjornruffian fan!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:25:53 AM
One of Six down for my Hugo short story reads, and this one currently at the top! It will probably stay fairly high, I expect.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

kylefiction

• Extern
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 03:12:36 PM
SUCH a cute story! I loved it! I'm glad the author didn't have Computron reveal he is a robot, but just participate in the community. Super fun!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 09:30:31 AM
As someone who doesn't like robots and isn't interested in fandom, this story's setting didn't work for me, but it was still enjoyable to listen to.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 04:56:02 PM
I liked when Computron got started on an endless ramble about his fandom during the museum presentation.