Author Topic: PseudoPod 593: The Woman in the Hill  (Read 2207 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: May 07, 2018, 11:31:05 PM
PseudoPod 593: The Woman in the Hill

by Tamsyn Muir
Narrated by A.J. Fitzwater
Hosted by Alasdair Stuart

Show Notes

I grew up a few kilometres away from Waikopua Creek in what is today known as Whitford, and consider the New Zealand bushlands and rural existence very evocative of Lovecraftian horror: beautiful, but also isolating and impenetrable. “The Woman In The Hill” takes place in the landscape of Whitford and Turanga, in a time when that isolation would have been much more pronounced than it is today. For the sake of accuracy, the original New Zealand language and spelling has been maintained in this letter.

The Woman in the Hill was originally printed in Dreams from the Witch House and reprinted in The Best Horror of the Year: Volume Eight.

Dear Dorothy,

This is the last time I intend ever to write to you. Though you may take this letter as a freak or crank, I ask that you reconsider how likely it is that I would write such madness—that is, unless I knew it were the truth. In my need to convince you I will lay out the events using only fact—what I saw with my own eyes and have subsequently acted upon based on rational belief—and at the last, pray to God you believe me.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:30:49 AM
I agree with Alasdair, some lines like "I never left" made my hair stand up.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Michael W. Cho

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 03:49:34 PM
I agree with Alasdair, some lines like "I never left" made my hair stand up.
Definitely the best line!

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 05:08:45 PM
I think it captured the lovecraftian feel very well. I had to check the publication date after listening.
The endless bags of women's clothes and the horrible carvings in the dark tunnel are the images that stuck with me.