Escape Artists
December 16, 2017, 09:52:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Story behind your avatar?  (Read 67718 times)
goatkeeper
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 11:41:32 AM »

I'm obsessed with any and all info pertaining to "Colossal Squid" findings.  The photo I use for my avatar cracks me up because of the ?m
It's not that they don't know how long these big ass squid get- they just haven't invented the number yet...
DDog
Matross

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 01:23:14 AM »

Mine is refreshingly mobile in a realm of still-lifes!

It's a very short repetitive clip from the movie Spirited Away. The ススワタリ are so much fun. Grin

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute
Darwinist
Hipparch

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 10:30:26 AM »

I actually switch my avatar quite often.  All of the pics have been images I shot with my new camera.  Except for the cars on the spike. 

Is the lizard your picture also?  It looks like the little beasts (anoles?) I see running around in Mexico and Florida US.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan
Russell Nash
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »

I actually switch my avatar quite often.  All of the pics have been images I shot with my new camera.  Except for the cars on the spike. 

Is the lizard your picture also?  It looks like the little beasts (anoles?) I see running around in Mexico and Florida US.

Yeah, this is a little guy I hunted down at the Berlin Aquarium.  The name was in German so I don' know exactly what it is.

sirana
Lochage

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 03:41:56 AM »

Yeah, this is a little guy I hunted down at the Berlin Aquarium.  The name was in German so I don' know exactly what it is.

looks to me like a "Wasseragame" (Physignathus cocincinus), but I could be wrong...
Russell Nash
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 05:00:43 AM »

looks to me like a "Wasseragame" (Physignathus cocincinus), but I could be wrong...
Next time I go I'll check the name and get the translation.  We have year cards and use the zoo and aquarium like parks.  We're there all the time.
Thaurismunths
High Priest of TCoRN
Hipparch

Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 10:39:08 PM »

I was doing some work down in Texas for the Army. Texas had/has an anti-littering slogan of "Don't mess with Texas" and, well, I couldn't help but mess with it.
Weeks and months go by of working 12 and 16 hour days with very little time for messing with a state when on my last weekend there I saw this sign "Please Stay Off The Grass" outside the General's office. So I boldly walked over the lawn to the sign and posed while my boss took the picture.
That was 3 years ago... maybe I should get a new avatar?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?
sirana
Lochage

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 05:52:18 AM »

Next time I go I'll check the name and get the translation.  We have year cards and use the zoo and aquarium like parks.  We're there all the time.

I showed my ex (who actually has two Wasseragamen) the picture and she says she is sure that it is one.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »

I was doing some work down in Texas for the Army. Texas had/has an anti-littering slogan of "Don't mess with Texas" and, well, I couldn't help but mess with it.
Weeks and months go by of working 12 and 16 hour days with very little time for messing with a state when on my last weekend there I saw this sign "Please Stay Off The Grass" outside the General's office. So I boldly walked over the lawn to the sign and posed while my boss took the picture.
That was 3 years ago... maybe I should get a new avatar?

Dude, you can't change that avatar!  You've had it the whole time you've been posting here.  I might not recognize you next time. Wink

Thaurismunths
High Priest of TCoRN
Hipparch

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 11:01:24 AM »

I might not recognize you next time. Wink
You say that like it might be a bad thing. Wink

Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »

[Edit: yeah, I posted this, and then went and changed the avatar... sorry.]

I thought I played this game, but I guess I didn't...   in the center of the frame [of my previous avatar], was a picture of my sister's family on a pedal boat in the little lake at Encanto Park in Phoenix.  I, too, am in a boat [in that formerly existent picture formerly used as my avatar].

NOW, I'm apparently using a picture of me in Wurzburg, Deutschland, in 1999.  I was visiting an Army buddy over the weekend while I was doing language refresher at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and something about that storefront was calling to me....

But everywhere else, I've taken to using this self portrait:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:23:54 PM by Tango Alpha Delta » Logged

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 12:49:17 AM »

Very briefly (a day or less) I put up the picture of myself with C. J. Cherryh and Jane Fancher taken in September 2005.

Now I have Eeyore, because I recognize in him a kindred spirit.

[edit]
And the signature borrows from Episode 16 of the Revolutionary Girl Utena anime, and the "cowbell" sketch from Saturday Night Live.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:57:49 AM by stePH » Logged

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Russell Nash
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 07:32:58 AM »

NOW, I'm apparently using a picture of me in Wurzburg, Deutschland, in 1999.  I was visiting an Army buddy over the weekend while I was doing language refresher at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and something about that storefront was calling to me....

The first time I visited my gf (now wife) in Berlin I went on a walkabout while she finished her last day at work before going on vacation.  I was walking around the Zoologischer Garten area when I just burst out laughing.  Everybody was looking at this strange guy standing alone and laughing his ass off.  I had just spotted a large neon sign in a store window.  In letters about a foot and a half high it said, "Schmuck".  When you know what the word literally means in Yiddish it's even funnier.
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 08:25:07 AM »

The first time I visited my gf (now wife) in Berlin I went on a walkabout while she finished her last day at work before going on vacation.  I was walking around the Zoologischer Garten area when I just burst out laughing.  Everybody was looking at this strange guy standing alone and laughing his ass off.  I had just spotted a large neon sign in a store window.  In letters about a foot and a half high it said, "Schmuck".  When you know what the word literally means in Yiddish it's even funnier.

We had taken the kids to the Phoenix Zoo, and there was a punk/goth couple there, admiring the antelope.  He had a spiky, purple mohawk, and while I don't consider that either "good" or "bad" as a personal life choice... I couldn't resist snapping a photo because he was standing right next to the sign that read "PRONGHORN". 

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!
Darwinist
Hipparch

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 10:05:10 AM »

Dude, you can't change that avatar!  You've had it the whole time you've been posting here.  I might not recognize you next time. Wink

It would be cool if a person's old avatar stuck with the old postings.  I seem to recall this video avatar of a kitten coming out of some guy's mouth, freaking hilarious.

Also, I miss the giant dead rat sculpture.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan
Russell Nash
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2008, 09:02:41 AM »

I showed my ex (who actually has two Wasseragamen) the picture and she says she is sure that it is one.

I was at the aquarium today and checked out what the little guy is.  In German: Australische Wasseragame.  In Latin: Physignathus lesueurii.  In English: Australian water dragon.
Chodon
Lochage

Molon Labe

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

I was at the aquarium today and checked out what the little guy is.  In German: Australische Wasseragame.  In Latin: Physignathus lesueurii.  In English: Australian water dragon.
Dragon, eh?  So how do they keep its fire breath from melting the Plexiglas?

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.
Thaurismunths
High Priest of TCoRN
Hipparch

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 12:24:54 PM »

Dragon, eh?  So how do they keep its fire breath from melting the Plexiglas?
It's a water dragon. Duh. Smiley

goatkeeper
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 01:19:37 PM »

I think it was a mole...and I yah I miss it too
gelee
Lochage

It's a missile, boy.

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »

I think it was a mole...and I yah I miss it too
OK, back by popular demand... Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: