Escape Artists
December 17, 2017, 03:17:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Story behind your avatar?  (Read 67731 times)
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »

Also, I miss the giant dead rat sculpture.

I think it was a mole...and I yah I miss it too
OK, back by popular demand... Smiley

What crime against Russel did he commit???

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!
goatkeeper
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07:05 AM »

Hurrah!
gelee
Lochage

It's a missile, boy.

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 07:30:11 AM »

He refferred to a group of Russelites as "Cornies," and was strung up on the spot.  Sensitive bunch, them.
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »

He refferred to a group of Russelites as "Cornies," and was strung up on the spot.  Sensitive bunch, them.

They must have been part of the rice-growing faction of TCoRN... the Ricellites.  The TCoRNians in Iowa wouldn't have minded at all; nor would the TCoRN Podiatry Guild, or the Anglican splinter group in Cornwall.  But them Ricellites is Nashty.

CGFxColONeill
Matross

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 09:29:47 PM »

ok kinda newer to the forum so I dont really know what this TCoRN thing is any one care to enlighten me plz?

my avi comes from an online game I play in which my name is ( no prizes for guessing this one early) is CGFxColONeill ( soon to change but ya )

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 11:48:07 AM »

ok kinda newer to the forum so I dont really know what this TCoRN thing is any one care to enlighten me plz?

Well.... the long version is buried in this thread here.   The short version is, someone tried to use beloved moderator, Russell Nash, as the deity of his own religion in a semi-Socratic thought experiment on faith.  It kind of backfired because the rest of us are a bunch of smart-assed nay-sayers with hyper-active imaginations (would you expect any less in a science fiction podcast forum?)... and the result has been a running inside joke.  As you can see by my sig and description, I tried to stake out territory as the supreme heretic, but others (such as Heradel) have posed their own (unorthodox) heretical positions, too.

This, in a nutshell, explains the existence of The Church of Russell Nash (aka TCoRN).  Yea, and verily, go now in peace.  (Or in pieces.)

Darwinist
Hipparch

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »

What up with the Lego avatar?

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »

What up with the Lego avatar?

Apparently one of my co-workers was in Toys-R-Us and saw that little guy in his mail van... and decided that it looked like his workplace hero, yours truly. 

He got so excited that he had found a "TAD" action figure, he just had to get it... and his fiancee even added a little "TAD" nametag with a fine-tipped pen.  I, being easily flattered (a foible I attribute to not being a deity in my own made-up religion) decided to swipe the photo from the Lego people and make it my own.  I figure since they "stole" my likeness, I can steal it back... and I humbly offer to pay 4 gazillion percent royalties on every penny of profit I make from it.

eytanz

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »

I, being easily flattered (a foible I attribute to not being a deity in my own made-up religion) decided to swipe the photo from the Lego people and make it my own.  I figure since they "stole" my likeness, I can steal it back... and I humbly offer to pay 4 gazillion percent royalties on every penny of profit I make from it.

If any Lego representatives are reading this - I will send TAD 25% of any sum of money you choose to send me, as payment for providing me joy with his avatar. That'll turn into a gazillion percent return on your investment!

Wink

Heradel
Bill Peters, EP Assistant
Hipparch

Part-Time Psychopomp.

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 05:10:22 PM »

Well.... the long version is buried in this thread here.   The short version is, someone tried to use beloved moderator, Russell Nash, as the deity of his own religion in a semi-Socratic thought experiment on faith.  It kind of backfired because the rest of us are a bunch of smart-assed nay-sayers with hyper-active imaginations (would you expect any less in a science fiction podcast forum?)... and the result has been a running inside joke.  As you can see by my sig and description, I tried to stake out territory as the supreme heretic, but others (such as Heradel) have posed their own (unorthodox) heretical positions, too.

This, in a nutshell, explains the existence of The Church of Russell Nash (aka TCoRN).  Yea, and verily, go now in peace.  (Or in pieces.)

I refuse to accept that my position is not orthodox to the citizens of the planet Tappa Alphi Delter.

I also refuse to accept that my position isn't valid simply because I cannot remember my position.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.
CGFxColONeill
Matross

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 06:09:45 PM »

thanks for the clarification on it lol

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »

I refuse to accept that my position is not orthodox to the citizens of the planet Tappa Alphi Delter.

I also refuse to accept that my position isn't valid simply because I cannot remember my position.

Oh, I never said there was anything wrong with your position... just that I was miffed to find out I wasn't the only heretic. 

I imagine this is how Martin Luther would have felt hammering up his 95 Theses, and then finding a Calvinist pamphlet floating in the gutter behind him.  (Aside from any obvious space-time anachronisms, of course.)

But, unless you just want to argue....

Heradel
Bill Peters, EP Assistant
Hipparch

Part-Time Psychopomp.

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 09:32:37 PM »

Oh, I never said there was anything wrong with your position... just that I was miffed to find out I wasn't the only heretic. 

I imagine this is how Martin Luther would have felt hammering up his 95 Theses, and then finding a Calvinist pamphlet floating in the gutter behind him.  (Aside from any obvious space-time anachronisms, of course.)

It's the problem with population expansion. Back in the old days you could be bloody certain once you had a clever idea that it would take years before someone else had it — look at Darwin and that other guy. But these days everyone's been breeding like rabbits on testosterone injections and you've got a good five minutes if you're lucky before some other bastard has the same idea.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:58:53 PM by Heradel » Logged

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.
Thaurismunths
High Priest of TCoRN
Hipparch

Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »

It's the problem with population expansion. Back in the old days you could be bloody certain once you had a clever idea that it would take years before someone else had it — look at Darwin and that other guy. But these days everyone's been breeding like rabbits on testosterone injections and you've got a good five minutes if you're lucky before some other bastard has the same idea.
Damn it! I was just thinking that.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »

I, being easily flattered (a foible I attribute to not being a deity in my own made-up religion) decided to swipe the photo from the Lego people and make it my own.  I figure since they "stole" my likeness, I can steal it back... and I humbly offer to pay 4 gazillion percent royalties on every penny of profit I make from it.

If any Lego representatives are reading this - I will send TAD 25% of any sum of money you choose to send me, as payment for providing me joy with his avatar. That'll turn into a gazillion percent return on your investment!

Wink

eytanz - if I end up owing them any money, I'll hire YOU to figure out how much!  Tongue   (Remember: me word guy... not so much number guy.)

shwankie
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »

Okay, so better late than never to this thread. And yep, I changed my avatar before posting, largely because I've been meaning to forever anyway, and this was good impetus. My first avatar was, of course, me. The lazy way. It was created for another forum and on-hand when I started here. While I am not a big fan of posting random pics of myself on the web, I am also usually tired enough of "the online" (as one of my friends call it) by the time I'm done checking my email and websites that apathy wins.

The new one, and I hope to change more regularly now that I've been prodded into it once, is one of the mushrooms 'Munths and I identified on our semi-regular wild-food foraging trips last year. Not edible, btw, and I'm also forgetting the name at the moment. Pretty, nonetheless. This avatar won over the pics of bentos I've been doing because while hiking today, 'Munths and I were reminiscing over our previous mushroomy finds and anticipating the bounty of The New State this season. So, it seemed appropriate.

And, I love the mole. In a very creepy, disturbing way.
williamjamesw
Palmer

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »

I haven't really posted much yet, but this topic got me thinking that I should pick out an avatar for myself.  So, considering that I'm a browncoat who still plays with Lego's; I used one from the guy at  http://www.reasonablyclever.com who is also both, but has way more talent. 

I'll just go back to being silent again now.
AarrowOM
Palmer

"We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2008, 04:37:26 AM »

My avatar is an underwater picture of me during my last day of training (PADI Open Water).  Though it is not as if anyone could tell from the picture itself, the location is off-shore of Waya Island, Yasawas, Fiji (roughly the same area where The Blue Lagoon and Castaway were filmed).  I chose the picture since it is really me, but behind a mask and regulator, it is unlikely that anyone would be able to figure out that it is me.

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel
Darwinist
Hipparch

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2008, 10:39:08 AM »

My avatar is an underwater picture of me during my last day of training (PADI Open Water).  Though it is not as if anyone could tell from the picture itself, the location is off-shore of Waya Island, Yasawas, Fiji (roughly the same area where The Blue Lagoon and Castaway were filmed).  I chose the picture since it is really me, but behind a mask and regulator, it is unlikely that anyone would be able to figure out that it is me.

Cool picture, but you should consider some enhancements like the fish guy got in Pressure.  You could lose the mask, regulator, flippers, etc. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan
Tango Alpha Delta
Hipparch

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2008, 06:31:46 AM »

I haven't really posted much yet, but this topic got me thinking that I should pick out an avatar for myself.  So, considering that I'm a browncoat who still plays with Lego's; I used one from the guy at  http://www.reasonablyclever.com who is also both, but has way more talent. 

What a cool site!  I love the Steampunk version of the Millenium Falcon! 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: