Escape Artists
June 20, 2018, 11:46:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PC521: We Are Sirens  (Read 245 times)
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« on: May 08, 2018, 08:06:30 PM »

PodCastle 521: We Are Sirens

Rated R: for all the weaknesses of flesh (and how it tears between teeth).

Originally published in the Sirens anthology by World Weaver Press.

L. S. Johnson lives in Northern California, where she feeds her cats by writing book indexes. She is the author of the gothic novellas Harkworth Hall and Leviathan. Her first collection, Vacui Magia: Stories, was a finalist for the World Fantasy Award. Her novel remains vexedly in progress.

Abra Staffin-Wiebe loves dark science fiction, cheerful horror, and futuristic fairy tales. Dozens of her short stories have appeared at publications including Tor.com, Escape Pod, and Odyssey Magazine. She lives in Minneapolis, where she wrangles two small children, three large cats, and one full-sized mad scientist. When not writing or wrangling, she collects folk tales and photographs whatever stands still long enough to allow it. Go to aswiebe.com to discover her fiction about fluffy pink murderbears, firebirds bearing gifts, and other things beautiful and bizarre.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
RexMagenta
Extern

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:27:20 AM »

This was beautifully written and I thought the cracking of the voice from "we" to "I" was really nicely done. Not sure about the implied binary of "everyone either crashes or changes" though.

It's fun to stay at the \o/ <o> (o_ /o\

Pronouns: she/her
harrietpodder
Extern

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »

loved Sarah, was really squicked out by what I perceive to be transphobic sirens. Yeah, I understand they dislike her cuz she won't join their we, and I heard transphobia in "We're coming to get you Sarah-girl." After all the rest of the story says they've meant ppl of all genders throughout time without batting their collective eye.
Jen
Palmer

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:45:01 AM »

I really enjoyed this story, it was unique and not at all what I expected to begin with.

@harrietpodder - I don't think you are supposed to empathize with the sirens. They are pretty horrible beings, killing people indiscriminately for perceived wrongs...

I felt like this was one of those stories where having a trans character worked very well and it really added something more to the plot. (As opposed to thinly veiled trans-coming-out stories disguised as sci fi... I forgot the name, but there was the robot one a couple months ago.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: