Author Topic: ÆON Flux  (Read 3709 times)

Russell Nash

on: October 09, 2007, 05:58:41 PM
I watched this movie last night.  There was nothing on and I was feeling kind of beat, so I said why not. 

Everything I had heard was that this movie stank, so I went in expecting it to be bad.  Through most of it I was having fun.  It was goofy and totally implausible, but not downright stupid, and some parts were actually sort of clever.  And I like Charlize Theron, partly because of her acting and partly because she's not a walking skeleton like most actresses.

Then all of the sudden we have a 18th century style everyone just stand around in the open and shoot at each other.  It was like they scrapped the last hour and replaced it with 10 minutes of Theron standing in the open and shooting people

Anyway, that's what I thought.

On a side note.  This whole thing was shot here in Berlin.  Relatively very little of it was shot on sound stages.  You can go around town here and look at almost all of the places where it was filmed. 

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:14:14 PM
How bizarre...I just watched this movie for the first time this weekend too.  I had about the same take on it you did.  I was expecting crap and I got something slightly better than crap.  It was a mediocre movie that had some strange ideas in it.  SPOILER ALERT:

They never explained why people's memories carried over after they were cloned.  What's up with that?  That was the only part of the movie I didn't get.

I liked the idea of why the brother wanted to keep power, but you would think they would treasure life a little more if they knew there couldn't be any new life.

Also, why would Aeon blow up the cloning balloon before they had the problem fixed?  She could have been dooming humanity to extinction, which would make her a pretty nasty villain.

Overall, I didn't feel connected to any of the characters, and I didn't especially care too much about what happened them.  I thought the gunfights, while entertaining, were laughably unrealistic.  Standing in the middle of a round courtyard and spinning with two machine pistols in your hands does not kill everyone around the courtyard.  It takes a lot of concentration to hit a target even when you're aiming.  Most of those bullets would have either hit the dirt or flown over her attacker's heads.

Also, I didn't know they had a huge jellyfish-looking balloon flying over Berlin.  I'm going to have to check that out sometime.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:44:44 PM
Also, I didn't know they had a huge jellyfish-looking balloon flying over Berlin.  I'm going to have to check that out sometime.
Isn't it a national monument?

Spoiler-ish alert... tho i cant see anyone caring if this movie is spoiled.
When she blew up that baloon, my friend and I were laughing sooo hard as it crashed through the city.  For some odd reason that was the funniest thing in the world at that moment.
yyyep.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:15:44 AM
I would think it would be a lot more ecomomical to put a cloning lab on the ground (or even in an underground lab) than to build a flying one.  It did make some of the action scenes a little more..active?

The inside of the lab reminded me of the cheesecake factory in Chicago at the base of the Hancock building.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.