Author Topic: PC522: Extinctions  (Read 2577 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: May 16, 2018, 05:23:02 PM
PodCastle 522: Extinctions

Rated R

Originally published in Shimmer Magazine in March 2017.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

lesdiaboliques

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 09:59:48 AM
This story was set in a great world with lots of intriguing hooks that made me want to learn more.

It spoke to the depth of the character and the strength of the writing that this story - about turning away from a secret world which readers will find fascinating - still kept me engrossed and engaged.

I thought the narration was great too; there was a slight edge to the prose but the narrator really brought this to life with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:39:52 PM
I'm such a sucker for second-person perspective, it always brings everything closer. It's a hard world for a slayer, trying to make a life on the boundary between darkness and normal society. I don't know if I hope the protagonist can lull herself to sleep easier on maybe-love, or if I hope she will take up the sword again. 

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:58:48 AM

I'm such a sucker for second-person perspective, it always brings everything closer.

That's fascinating. For me, the use of second person is almost always distancing and it takes me forever to settle into the story.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:31:03 PM
I didn't really like this one. The characterization of Juneau didn't fit with my experience of it. I didn't really feel anything towards any of the characters. The story had some interesting lines, but didn't work as a whole entity for me.