Author Topic: EP627: Humans Die, Stars Fade  (Read 4103 times)

eytanz

on: May 21, 2018, 07:50:08 PM
Escape Pod 627: Humans Die, Stars Fade

AUTHOR : Charles Payseur
NARRATOR : Veronica Giguere
HOST: Mur Lafferty

---

They come to study. Not me. Not really. No, they come for Aerik—what he’s become. What I suppose we both will become when the slow swell of time and gravity finally draw us together wholly. After everything, all the years with only the brush of winds, then this slow draining death, it’s almost something to look forward to. Even if he’s not there anymore.

But the aliens. The humans.
The UEF Intrepid. They’re here to study, ship space-worn and eager, scanning like a bird poking at a pool of water with its bill, unaware of what might lurk beneath. They don’t know the gravitational anomalies of the area, the way that Aerik sometimes surges as if reaching for me, as if he can jump back from the annihilation that claimed our planets, his life, and our love. There is little I can do for them. For anyone.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

geoffg

• Extern
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 07:42:30 PM
I like this story. The expression of the loneliness of the star was well done. Her desperation to communicate with the humans was profound. well done.

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 05:02:08 AM
I liked this one a lot. The loneliness really came through. I enjoyed the generational aspect, and the yay-research affirmation.

irishlazz

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 11:25:03 AM
Fantastic.  The lifespan difference between elves and humans is nothing compared to this.  The immensity and depth of the star's emotions is both well written and well read.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 01:57:40 PM
I also liked this one. At first, I didn't understand why the star didn't warn the humans right away, but then I realized that the star "was in an abusive relationship" and was traumatized by this. The star had to discover their own sense of agency before they could act. It was fun watching the star grow this way.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:57:30 PM
It's a small thing, but I appreciate the polyamory representation in the offhand mention of a triple marriage.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 04:37:04 PM
I didn't really like this one. The stars were so anthropomorphic there didn't seem to be anything different in their personalities from humans. The sci-fi was smothered by the story of getting over an abusive ex. I also thought the last batch of scientists were pretty brash in how they addressed an ancient-super-powerful being that they know almost nothing about.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 05:48:49 AM
.... were pretty brash in how they addressed an ancient-super-powerful being that they know almost nothing about.

LOL! I think you just described humanity in a nutshell.  ;D ;D

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 12:17:07 AM
The title does a good job subverting expectations and we are delivered a surprisingly optimistic bit of space opera. Nicely done!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”