Author Topic: PC524: Shine like the Sea’s Deepest Secrets  (Read 2013 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: May 31, 2018, 05:21:56 PM
PodCastle 524: Shine like the Sea’s Deepest Secrets

Rated R for blood, guts, and monstrous appetites.

Originally published in Flame Tree’s gothic fantasy anthology Pirates & Ghosts: Short Stories.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:25:04 PM by Ocicat »

spidervet

• Extern
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:48 PM
I'm surprised this story hasn't gotten more comments. I loved the language and the twist ending. Would love more from this author.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:43:48 PM
Happy for more queer romances, even doomed ones. I loved the writing style, even though it was hard to follow aurally. Thanks again for including a text version for those of us who enjoy multiple mediums!

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 07:46:42 PM
I think the ghost was a very unreliable narrator. She didn't care anything about right or wrong, only her own feelings. As a pirate, I wouldn't be surprised if her Captain had done terrible things to earn her end.
I liked the underwater creatures and interactions between them. Beautiful and mysterious. The mermaids could be thought of as dealers of mercy for the doomed sailors. Is dying under a spell that brings you ecstasy and a quick death really worse than dying from exposure and dehydration on the ruined ship?