Author Topic: Interesting Random Information  (Read 7642 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 15, 2007, 11:09:25 PM
Know anything interesting? any random facts people would find surprising? any knowledge on how to make something cool?  Combinations of household items to form explosives? :P
post em here!

ill start with...
More than 40,000 people each year die from Toilet Injuries. These could be from drowning in the toilet to tripping and knocking their head on the toilet.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:48:09 PM
The Sodium Laurel Sulfate in toothpaste is what makes things taste weird right after you brush your teeth. It causes the tastebuds that register sweetness to turn off temporarily.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:03:49 AM
Napalm burns from about 1300-2100 degrees Fahrenheit :)
It turns the oxygen in the air into Carbon Monoxide, from which I believe it is 0.4% in the air you can die from.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 02:03:52 AM
Thermite is created by mixing iron oxide and powdered aluminum (I'm going to leave the ratio out for the sake of...whatever) and will burn at 4500 degrees F.  A soda can full of the stuff will burn through the hood, engine block, and axle of a car and into the pavement.

Also, sign up for a google alert for news stories including the term "plane crash" and be shocked that there are on average 12 plane crashes daily...

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:53:30 AM
Interesting Random Information is also known as Bdoomed's attempt to subtly out the forum Pyros.

It would only take about 20 years of complete neglect for Manhattan city streets and avenues to collapse into rivers (if there are subways beneath) or turn into an extension of Central Park.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 02:59:54 AM
Interesting Random Information is also known as Bdoomed's attempt to subtly out the forum Pyros.
sure... lets go with that... *shifty eyes*

heh, equal parts of cat litter and gas and youve got napalm (or so says Palahniuk)

True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.
-Kurt Vonnegut
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:04:22 AM by Bdoomed »

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:13:45 AM
There are over two hours, and at least two characters, missing from the 1993 film Empire Records.  One of these characters was played by Tobey Maguire whose right shoulder is just visible in the closing open air concert scene.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:40:52 PM
uncopyrightable and dermatoglyphics are the longest english words in which no letter is repeated.

a lump of pure gold the size of your thumbnail can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 08:51:07 PM
Only one word in the English language ends in -sede:  supersede.

(Thank you, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown".)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 03:45:37 AM
This seemed seasonally appropriate, given that I watched some migrating geese fly over today.

Migrating geese fly in V-formations so that the majority of them can take advantage of the updraft in the outer part of the wingtip vortices caused by the goose in front of and to one side of them. The lead goose in the middle does more work than the rest, so occasionally they drop back, forcing one or the other behind them to take the lead. The one on the other side of the former lead goose drops back too, then the next, and so on, causing a ripple along that side of the V, of geese dropping back a bit one at a time.
Very similar to velodrome cycling teams "drafting" behind a leader, who will periodically move out of the lead and drop back to the end of the line of their teammates.

Quiz time.
Q: Why is one side of a V of flying geese usually longer than the other?
A: Because there are more geese on that side.  ;D

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 08:08:46 AM
Bookkeeper is the only word in the English language with three sets of double letters.  If subbookkeeper were a real word, we could go to four.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 11:47:53 AM
I cheated and went to a random fact website at http://www.hookedonfacts.com/index.htm.

I clicked through some random facts and was impressed by this one: Apparently it was illegal to sell ET dolls in France because dolls without human faces are outlawed.

Another great example of how government has our best interests in mind when they make laws.   ???

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 01:40:14 PM
This is one I see often, but it's actually partially incorrect: there are no words in the English language that rhyme with orange and purple. I haven't been able to refute orange yet, but purple actually does have a rhyme: curple, meaning the posterior.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 03:23:31 PM
This is one I see often, but it's actually partially incorrect: there are no words in the English language that rhyme with orange and purple. I haven't been able to refute orange yet, but purple actually does have a rhyme: curple, meaning the posterior.

There are actually quite a few words with no rhyme in the english language as cited on Wikipedia.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 02:12:32 AM

(This quote alone was worth coming back into the forum.  Thanks be to Russell.)

I don't know if this counts as an interesting "fact", but it is at least an interesting assertion (all curple puns intended):  The Inverse Law of Length to Importance states that the longer a set of laws, the less important they are to the conduct of human existence.  Examples provided are the Ten Commandments, and the U.S. Tax Code.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 06:17:55 AM
The standard unit of measurement for awesome is the Shadiggatronz (STz)

http://www.awesomeology.org/

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 03:01:44 AM
Sliced up tinfoil hung from a wall can act as chaff and detur bats from the area.

It works really well, and can be slightly funny too.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 05:30:47 AM

how many Shadiggatronz does this thread rate?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 05:49:59 PM

how many Shadiggatronz does this thread rate?

As I understand the reference material at the website, since a Shadiggatronz is, like, a million, then someone like (for a random example) myself would probably rate a femtoshadiggatronz (1 fSTz) when at rest.  I would hazard a rough estimate for this thread of 1 STz, for simply referring to the measurement itself and thus initiating us into the mysteries of Awesomeology. 

For your future reference, the extremes of the scale would probably measure the Bush Administration as one yoctoShadiggatronz (1 ySTz), and an extended 30 day uninterrupted orgasm while drinking Mudslides as one yottoShadiggatronz (1 YSTz).

(I get this from the SI prefix list:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix#List_of_SI_prefixes )

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!