Author Topic: CoW Ep. 302: Restoring the Magic  (Read 2588 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: May 21, 2018, 11:29:04 AM
Cast of Wonders 302: Restoring The Magic

• Author: Ian Creasey
• Narrator: Brian Lieberman
• Host: Marguerite Kenner
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter
Cast of Wonders 302: Restoring the Magic was originally published in Neverland’s Library: Fantasy Anthology, edited by Roger Bellini (Ragnarok Publications, April 2014).
Click here to listen to Episode 302

Ian Creasey lives in Yorkshire, England. He began writing when rock & roll stardom failed to return his calls. So far he has sold seventy-odd short stories to various magazines and anthologies. His debut collection, Maps of the Edge, was published in 2011; a second collection, Escape Routes from Earth, came out in 2015. His interests include hiking and gardening — anything to get him outdoors and away from the computer screen.

Brian Lieberman is a froody marketer by day and unapologetic nerd by … also day. And night. And most of lunchtime as well. As the PseudoPod community manager, he mostly tends to the horrors of PseudoPod towers but occasionally ventures outward to visit the other Escape Artists podcasts. He lives in Columbia, Maryland with his wife, a roommate, a cat, and a school of fish.

When I had climbed high enough that my breath came in great panting gasps, and the sheep in the valleys looked like tiny flecks of fallen cloud, I heaved off my backpack and looked for the best spot to plant the final sapling. Birch and goat-willow dotted the exposed slopes, hardy species that withstood the storms and chills of the High Tatras. My oak required a more sheltered home. I saw a south-facing escarpment, and scrambled across to investigate. The grey rock felt warm under my hand, retaining the heat of the autumn sun. Behind an outcrop, in a small gully, the wind dropped to a light breeze. I pulled up tussocks of grass to inspect the soil, and found it damp but not sodden, thin but not barren. An earthworm crawled away into the moss and leaf-litter. Instinctively, I felt that a dryad would thrive here.

Tags: Brian Lieberman, Cast of Wonders, conservation, dragons, dryad, Fantasy, Ian Creasey, investigation, Jeremy Carter, magic, Marguerite Kenner, Modern Fantasy, secrets, Young Adult fiction

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 12:58:16 AM
I wish that Magical Beasts was this good.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”