Author Topic: PC529: Chesirah  (Read 2985 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 03, 2018, 07:04:13 PM
PodCastle 529: Chesirah

Rated PG-13 for violent captivity and violent rebirth.

Previously published by FIYAH Literary Magazine #1

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 05:52:14 PM
It took me a long time to get situated in this world. I wondered for a significant amount of time if Chesirah was the size of a bird, or a person? Is this a “future fantasy” story or a classic fantasy story? Are the ships spaceships or boat-ships? It was extremely apparent that this is the prologue to a longer story. I would have found my bearings quicker in this story with some clues a book jacket may have provided! I still love stories of self-liberation from oppressions so that was satisfying.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:39:02 PM
I also only "got" the story the third time I listened to it, but to be fair, the first two times was with broken headphones  :D

I really liked the setting and characters.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 07:36:50 PM
This was a very engaging story, and I didn't feel like it was incomplete or too prologue-y. It did seem strange that race/species based slavery of sentient people was condoned in society when there were apparently many non-human races mingling together. The doll maker was a particularly nasty character. I liked that Chesirah was considering helping others at the end, but didn't rush immediately into making it her life's work. The ending felt like the right choice for the character.