Escape Artists
September 23, 2018, 07:30:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PC529: Chesirah  (Read 723 times)
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« on: July 03, 2018, 02:04:13 PM »

PodCastle 529: Chesirah

Rated PG-13 for violent captivity and violent rebirth.

Previously published by FIYAH Literary Magazine #1

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
Katzentatzen
Matross

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »

It took me a long time to get situated in this world. I wondered for a significant amount of time if Chesirah was the size of a bird, or a person? Is this a “future fantasy” story or a classic fantasy story? Are the ships spaceships or boat-ships? It was extremely apparent that this is the prologue to a longer story. I would have found my bearings quicker in this story with some clues a book jacket may have provided! I still love stories of self-liberation from oppressions so that was satisfying.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN
Moritz
Lochage

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 12:39:02 PM »

I also only "got" the story the third time I listened to it, but to be fair, the first two times was with broken headphones  Cheesy

I really liked the setting and characters.
Ichneumon
Matross

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »

This was a very engaging story, and I didn't feel like it was incomplete or too prologue-y. It did seem strange that race/species based slavery of sentient people was condoned in society when there were apparently many non-human races mingling together. The doll maker was a particularly nasty character. I liked that Chesirah was considering helping others at the end, but didn't rush immediately into making it her life's work. The ending felt like the right choice for the character.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: