Author Topic: Escape Pod 633: Lucky Shot (Part 2)  (Read 4251 times)

divs

on: June 22, 2018, 04:55:07 AM
Escape Pod 633: Lucky Shot (Part 2)

AUTHOR : Gerri Leen
NARRATOR : Alethea Kontis
HOST: Mur Lafferty

---

The fire crackles, and Sirella watches as Kai lies with his eyes closed, pretending to sleep. She knows he’s pretending because his breathing is too soft. She’s heard his almost snores since the second night, when they’d both finally relaxed enough to sleep. She heard them and registered the strange, soft noises—realized they came from him and not from someone or something trying to sneak up on them in the dark of night—before falling back to sleep.

“Kai?” The word is a whisper. She isn’t sure what she wants to say to him. Just that she should say something.

His breathing stutters, but he doesn’t open his eyes.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:04:09 AM by Fenrix »

wataru

• Extern
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:56:26 PM
The story reminds me strongly of Barry Longyear's "Enemy Mine". I think this is a superior story to Longyear's, mostly because I love the ending of "Lucky Shot". Good job to Gerri Leen for her story, Alethea Kontis for her reading, and Escape Pod for choosing this story.  :)

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:02:20 PM
The story reminds me strongly of Barry Longyear's "Enemy Mine". I think this is a superior story to Longyear's, mostly because I love the ending of "Lucky Shot". Good job to Gerri Leen for her story, Alethea Kontis for her reading, and Escape Pod for choosing this story.  :)

I had a similar thought.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 09:24:58 PM
OH MAN! Stories of soldiers on opposite fronts putting aside their differences are a definite guilty pleasure of mine. (If anyone has any recommendations in this micro-genre please let me know!) I was clenching my fists because I could not tell how it was going to end. Mostly I was convinced Kai would die on the planet. I was so freaking happy about the ending, it was resolved and unresolved in the exact right ways. 

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 05:25:48 AM

I had a similar thought.

I did too, but I quite enjoyed this take on the concept.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 05:42:34 PM
I like having longer stories now and then from EA. That was a good ending, hope they both make it through. We humans seem to have difficulties seeing the similarities between ourselves and other humans different from us; it would probably be even easier to 'dehumanize' different species from different planets.

Jethro's belt

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 02:14:34 PM
Excellent, I thought I knew how it would end, some kind of finality; glad it didn't.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 01:26:32 PM
Have to join in on the love-fest.

Enjoyed the story. Loved the ending. Was not what I expected, but was all the more satisfying.

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 02:22:39 AM
This isn't an "official" comment or anything, but I'd just like to say on a personal level I'm really pleased to see so many positive reactions to us running more long-form and multi-part stories.

-Adam

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 01:06:18 AM
I was very happy to get a satisfying resolution to this story, as I was looking at the time remaining and full of trepidation. Excellent choice, and shows that MilSF doesn't have to be grim.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”