Author Topic: CoW Ep. 310: Little Wonders 18 - Transformation  (Read 3745 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: July 08, 2018, 07:16:58 PM
Cast of Wonders 310: Little Wonders 18 – Transformation

• Authors : Jennifer Mace and Giada Zavarise
• Narrators : Katherine Inskip and A.J. Fitzwater
• Host : Katherine Inskip
• Audio Producer : Jeremy Carter
"A Cradle of Vines" and "I Miss Bread" are both a Cast of Wonders originals!

"A Cradle of Vines"

Jennifer Mace is a queer Brit roaming the wilds of the Pacific Northwest in search of tea and interesting plant life. A graduate of the Viable Paradise SF/F workshop, she writes about strange magic and the cracks that form in society. Her poetry is forthcoming in Enter the Void. Find her on Twitter as @englishmace.

Katherine Inskip is assistant editor of Cast of Wonders who teaches astrophysics for a living and spends her spare time populating the universe with worlds of her own. She is addicted to chocolate and Japanese logic puzzles.  You can find more of her stories at Cast of Wonders, the Dunesteef and Luna Station Quarterly (though some may require either a little patience or a functional time machine)

There’s a plant in the hedgerow whose berries glimmer like starlight. Gyn passes it every morning on her way to school. Its leaves are waxy beneath her hands, small as the new baby’s fingernails and greener than grass stains on knees. They leave her skin smelling of peppermint.

“I Miss Bread"

Giada Zavarise studied to become a comic book writer, and for some reason ended up writing everything BUT comics. She’s currently writing and programming Selling Sunlight, a wandering merchant RPG that got successfully kickstarted last October. Her rambles can also be found on RockPaperShotgun, PC Gamer and Zeal.

Amanda Fitzwater is a dragon wearing a human meat suit from Christchurch, New Zealand. A graduate of Clarion 2014, she’s had short fiction published in Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Crossed Genres Magazine, and other venues of repute. Look out for upcoming stories in Shimmer Magazine and The Future Fire. She has done narrations across all Escape Artist podcasts, as well as Redstone SF, Interzone, and Wily Writers.

I miss bread. Not its taste, but the smell. I used to deliver newspapers during the summer when I was still alive, and every morning I passed in front of Old John’s bakery and inhaled the warm, cozy aroma of the bread coming out of the shop.

Tags: acceptance, AJ Fitzwater, baking, Cast of Wonders, changes, Giada Zavarise, growing up, Jennifer Mace, Jeremy Carter, Katherine Inskip, Little Wonders, persistence, reconciliation, Urban Fantasy, vampire, vines, Young Adult fiction

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 01:47:04 AM
"I Miss Bread" made me nostalgic for a good Vampire: the Masquerade game, in all the best ways.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”