Author Topic: PC531: The Island of the Nine Whirlpools  (Read 2559 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 17, 2018, 09:15:49 PM
PodCastle 531: The Island of the Nine Whirlpools

Rated PG-13.

From Edith Nesbit’s classic collection The Book of Dragons, which is in the public domain. You can find the whole thing here.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:13:01 PM
I like the style of direct, but detailed imagery in this story.  I think the way stating things that are not at all obvious as though everyone knows them gave a whimsical feel to the story. Thanks, PodCastle, for throwing in older stories now and then!

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 06:02:57 PM
I read this in "The Book of Dragons" when I was a kid. I always found it charming.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:44:11 AM
This was delightful! Some of the exceptionally dry humor sprinkled throughout was great. This one got me: "Then the whole surface of the land turned itself over in its anxiety to get rid of something so wicked, and in the morning the field was found to be plowed as thoroughly as any young man at Oxford."

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 05:01:57 PM
I have to say, this was an enjoyable story.  I liked how it held my attention, making me curious what was next, how things were going to unfold and end.  Well done.

Failure is an event, not a person.