Author Topic: PseudoPod 581: Love Will Tear Us Apart  (Read 2738 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: July 22, 2018, 02:34:59 PM
PseudoPod 581: Love Will Tear Us Apart

by Alaya Dawn Johnson
Narrated by Dominick Rabrun
Hosted by Tonia Thompson

Love Will Tear Us Apart’ was first published in ‘Zombies vs. Unicorns’ in 2010

1. I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor

Think of it like the best macaroni and cheese you’ve ever had. No neon yellow Velveeta and bread crumbs. I’m talking gourmet cheddar, the expensive stuff from Vermont that crackles as it melts into that crust on top. Imagine if right before you were about to tear into it, the mac and cheese starts talking to you? And it’s really cool. It likes Joy Division more than New Order, and owns every Sonic Youth album, and saw you in the audience at the latest Arctic Monkeys concert, though you were too stoned to notice anything but the clearly sub–par cheesy mac you’d brought with you.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:48:17 PM
Great story. Well narrwted.... question about the last part....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Who knows why the love interest had scars all over the body. I like it.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:55:50 AM

The text is all here and helps answer your question: http://pseudopod.org/2018/02/09/pseudopod-581-love-will-tear-us-apart/

Also the video for every section title is linked in the story, for your viewing pleasure.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 09:50:15 PM

The text is all here and helps answer your question: http://pseudopod.org/2018/02/09/pseudopod-581-love-will-tear-us-apart/

Also the video for every section title is linked in the story, for your viewing pleasure.
Re: Section 10. Shoot Out The Lights.
So...
...sigh, if it's meant to be vague that's fair enough. It's romantic fiction, not an IKEA manual:)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 11:51:59 PM
Twice in the paragraph he indicates imagining/fantasizing about losing control

“Do you cry out in your sleep / all my failings exposed” is a line from the title song

The blade going snicker-snack is a call back to the Jabberwocky discussion in Section 3

Maybe it's something like "if I were to lose control, I would be killed like the Jabberwocky, because losing control would make me a monster"

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:55:45 AM
The narrator did a terrific job, but the story's tone and topic wasn't for me.

I mean "Think of it like the best macaroni and cheese you’ve ever had." - I've never had macaroni and cheese...

countblackula

• Palmer
    • Portfolio
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 08:12:55 PM
The narrator did a terrific job, but the story's tone and topic wasn't for me.

I mean "Think of it like the best macaroni and cheese you’ve ever had." - I've never had macaroni and cheese...

Thanks!

Narrator for Escape Pod, Pseudopod, and Podcastle. Check out my YouTube channel here

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 02:57:06 AM
I love zombies and queer fiction, so this was fantastic. It didn't go anywhere that I expected it to! I love stories of a monster actually being a functional carrier of a chronic illness, since I sympathize on a visceral level. I like that their relationship isn't perfect either! Knowing you partner might eventually kill you is quite the elephant in the room. Too many stories end with the doomed but perfect lovers, and that's not interesting at all.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN