Author Topic: PseudoPod 591: The Plutonian Drug and The Hashish-Eater  (Read 2177 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 591: The Plutonian Drug and The Hashish-Eater

by Clark Ashton-Smith
Narrated by Dr. Hal
Hosted by Alasdair Stuart

“The Plutonian Drug” was first published in Amazing Stories, September 1934

“The Hashish-Eater: or, The Apocalypse of Evil” was first published in Ebony and Crystal: Poems in Verse and Prose in 1922

Show Notes

The MothMan Prophies
Sapphire & Steel
The Wrong Stars by Tim Pratt
In The Mouth of Madness
The New Gods
Santa Monica by EverClear

The drone used in “The Plutonian Drug” was Cerebral Cortex (Drone Mix) by Parvus Decree available and used under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license from the Free Music Archive. No changes were made to the piece.  Available at the following link

The music used in “The Hashish Eater” was “Last Rites Of Amduscias” by Turmoil available and used under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 from the Free Music Archive. No changes were made to the piece.  Available at the following link

‘It is remarkable.’ said Dr. Manners, ‘how the scope of our pharmacopoeia has been widened by interplanetary exploration. In the past thirty years, hundreds of hitherto unknown substances, employable as drugs or medical agents, have been found in the other worlds of our own system. It will be interesting to see what the Allan Farquar expedition will bring back from the planets of Alpha Centauri when — or if — it succeeds in reaching then and returning to earth. I doubt, though, if anything more valuable than selenine will be discovered. Selenine, derived from a fossil lichen found by the first rocket-expedition to the moon in 1975, has, as you know, practically wiped out the old-time curse of cancer. In solution, it forms the base of an infallible serum, equally useful for cure or prevention.’

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:51:00 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 01:31:03 AM
Ah well. It was an okay episode. I must remind myself that this would have been cutting edge horror/suspense when it first came out. Plutonian... I couldn't help thinking it as the element Plutonium (Pu).  It was a cheesy episode. And the eeeeeeeeevil hashish... that made me snarf and stop the episode. Pshhh.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 03:02:24 AM
I would prefer less poetry in my horror podcast, but I enjoyed listening to the narrator's voice.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN