Author Topic: Camarillo, CA  (Read 4042 times)

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
on: October 20, 2007, 12:48:31 AM
Hey all.  I am traveling to Camarillo, Ca this next week.  Does anyone know anything exciting to do there or in Oxnard?  Google hasn't been much help.  I'm going out to sort out a supplier's quality issues and there is a possibility they're just going to set me up in a conference room and ignore me, in which case I'm out of there and have two days to kill.  Let me know if anyone has any good restaurants or anything there.  Thanks!

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 06:11:01 AM
Chodon. Do yourslf a favor and drive the 45 minutes to Santa Barbara. Oxnard sucks ass. And if you're not white, you may get the unwelcome vibe in a few places. Ventura's not too bad. Santa Barbara was always my escape from L.A. nonsense. Snatch PCH (route 1) north along the coast and enjoy the view. When you get to SB head for the beach/pier. There's a restaurant on the right side pretty near the srteet that has one of the greatest burgers I've ever had. (The Santa Barbara Burger? Whichever one had the ton of avocado). If you keep on past the pier, the next left takes you into a parking lot with a little place to eat right on the sand. It's one of my favorite places in the world. I even proposed there, on the beach. Park your car and walk on up the beach and check out the drift wood forts that the kids make every weekend. Some of them are amazing. If the beach isn't your thing, downtown is always hopping with UCSB students. There's also a lot of museams and theaters there. If nothing else, it's a great place to get lost. That's generally what I do. If you want, keep driving north and watch it get more and more amazing. you can drive clear to the Candian border from there saying "wow" every 15 minutes. If you like to drive and think, head north and don't stop until you have to (usually San Francisco, about 4 hours by coast, 3ish hours by the 5). Hearst's Castle isn't much further north of SB (half hour?). It's resplendene still haunts my dreams. But I was 6 or 7. The epic scale was even more so then.

L.A. is about the same distance South. Downtown is okay. Chinatown is pretty fun. The beach cities tend to be the most enjoyable. Take the coast down as far as... well shit, I guess you could head to San Diego. If you want something quick and fun, you'll likely want to hang around Santa Monica's 3rd Street Prominade and Venice's boardwalk. Marina Del Rey has some places to eat along the coast. If you dive, you're going to want to head down to the reefs off Laguna Beach.

At night, in front of Universal Studios (101, exit Lankershim or Universal Studios Blvd) is Universal City Walk, which is a HELL of a lot of fun. More so at night. There's also a theater and a really hip bowling ally.

UCLA is fun, USC (especially around game time) is too. The Getty Meuseam is a must if you're into that.

And there's always Vegas 3.5 hours away! Woot! That's a whole other novel.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 01:52:25 PM
Awesome, awesome, AWESOME.  Thanks, Brandt.  I was worried about being bored, but with a rental car, an expense account, and most likely lots of time on my hands it looks like I'll have plenty to do.  I was planning on taking PCH up from LAX when I get in at about 10:00p (which is going to feel like 1:00am to me) and then taking it back down on the way back home.  Everyone says it's a beautiful drive and I'm hoping to not get caught in that notorious LA traffic.  I planned my flights in the middle of the night so I could avoid it.

Thanks for the tip about the burger joint too.  Burgers are my favorite food EVER.  You are the MAN!

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 06:26:20 PM
What day? No. Forget that. If you're getting in at 10p, you're in your car driving around 11p. Unless it's Friday or Saturday on the 101 near City Walk, or in Hollwood, I really can't think of any place you're going to see traffic at that hour. PCH up is beautiful. I normally suggest skipping Oxnard, but...

If you want a real cool experience (if it's open), you'll pass a real small spot in Malibu called Paradis Cove I think. Home of the most expensive mobile home park. There's also a resturaunt/bar on the beach. And as long as you spend more than... $20? parking's free. I can't imagine it'll be open around then though. I hope you get to make that drive in the daylight at some point though.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:09:42 PM
watch out for fires :(

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:58:19 PM
Yeah, I'm in Camarillo right now and it sucks.  Everything is smoky, it hurts my lungs and my eyes when I go outside.  To make things worse, the company I'm out here to visit has been very cooperative and I've spent most of my trip working.   >:(

There were a few good points though:
1) it was cool to fly into LAX over all the fires though.  It looked kind of like I was flying into hell.
2) The engineer I was working with is a huge beer fan and took me to a microbrew store and a restaurant with a wide selection of craft beers.

Now I just have to stay awake for the next 24 hours and I'll be back home.  Thanks again for the tips, Brandt.  Sorry I couldn't use any of them...maybe next time.

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:23:18 PM
1) it was cool to fly into LAX over all the fires though.  It looked kind of like I was flying into hell.

You were.  You were flying into LA.

::ducks, runs, and hides from the CA folk::

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Didja meet that lady with the snake for a pet and the amulet?

Sorry, just had to...

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Didja meet that lady with the snake for a pet and the amulet?

Sorry, just had to...

And she was breeding a dwarf, but she wasn't done yet.
She had gray/green skin, a doll with a pin
I told her she was alright, but I couldn't come in
(I couldn't come in right then)

Sorry... compulsion to finish Zappa lyrics.... over...power...ing.....

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html