Author Topic: iphone  (Read 4318 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 20, 2007, 04:22:56 PM
haha I'm in the apple store on an iphone!  I want one :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 04:50:26 PM
I do too, but given my current financial situation it's not an option.  Not necessarily a bad thing, as there are a few things that I think are still missing.  16GB like the touch for one, or better both SSD and a harddrive.  3G capability.  a few other things that I can't recall now that I was like, I wish it had feature X. 

Hopefully next year we will see a 16GB and 3G, as I can't imagine them not issuing a 16GB with it available in the touch which is essentially the same as the iphone minus the cell radio portion.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 06:08:26 PM
I was wondering how long it would be before the iPhone got a thread.  I never buy the first of anything.  I wait for the bugs to be found, more/improved options, and a much (in this case much, much) lower price.  It's already dropped $200.  When it's $100 to get it over the standard phone on my cell phone plan, I'll think about it.  Mostly I just like the idea of an iPod, PDA, and cell phone all in one so I don't have to carry three things.  The rest is unneccesary.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:13:49 PM
yea buyin the first of anythin isnt a good idea.  twas a bad idea for me to get the zune.  tho the zune itself isnt bad (a lil slow sometimes maybe), the software is terrible.

not only is the iphone F!@$ing expensive, its also WAY lacking in storage and 3G capability.
i have about 20gb songs/vids/podcasts on my computer.  if i have an mp3 player, its gonna hold that 20gb. :)
or at LEAST half of it.

tho i do plan on eventually gettin an iphone, or its later, more amazing, crazier, more pwntastic non equivilant.  whatever is siiick like that at the time :)

step 1 tho is getting out of sprint, which wont be easy because of the damn 2 year contract.
(unless sprint feels nice and gets the iphone too)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:31:56 AM

I always wondered how AT&T got the exclusive contract for the iPhone.  There must be some kickback on the contracts or something.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 01:58:36 PM

I always wondered how AT&T got the exclusive contract for the iPhone.  There must be some kickback on the contracts or something.

They were the only US company willing to give apple the percentage of the contract.  Apple gets a cut of every plan sold with an Iphone.  I think the best deal apple cut was with Orange in Great Britain.  They get I think close to 50% there.  It was blogged about when the announcement for it's release in Great Britain came up. 

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 07:29:39 PM
Pleh.  It's cool, but I'm not buying one.

http://www.openmoko.com

And there's a cool new phone coming out from HTC that I want.

The trick is to buy the phone, unlocked, from some other country (the French iPhone by law is unlocked, IIRC), then take it to your carrier and buy a sim card and have them install it.

The AT&T store around the corner from my house said they would do this for me.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42