Author Topic: PseudoPod 606: The Fainting Game  (Read 2393 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: August 05, 2018, 09:31:40 PM
PseudoPod 606: The Fainting Game

by Nino Cipri
Narrated by Larissa Thompson
Hosted by Alasdair Stuart

The Fainting Game is a PseudoPod original.

Show Notes
“This story is partially autobiographical. My older cousins did, in fact, teach me how to induce a fainting spell, and I did, in fact, have some kind of seizure. Do not try this at home, in the woods, or anywhere else.”

I held my arm out the window of the car and pretended it was a long sword slicing through the landscape. This was a game I always played on long car rides, holding my hand flat and my fingers rigid. The wind pushed the sword up, and I chopped through the tops of trees and telephone poles. Lower and I scythed through farmhouse attics and distant silos. I tried to control the sword by changing the angle of my hand, so I could hop over other cars without slicing their passengers in half. But sometimes, the wind forced my hand lower, and I’d apologize under my breath to the motorcyclist or hitchhiker I’d beheaded.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

julkaz

• Extern
  • folk horror dorkminx
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 05:07:23 AM
This story was superb. Horror stories about hatred between family members have an extra Bergman-like punch, and Nino Cipri set it up beautifully. Nothing is more terrifying than an older sibling who hates you, except maybe a younger sibling waiting to turn the tables...Hence Shakespeare, Hereditary, The Witch, and other awesome stuff.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:00:47 AM
This story worked for me. I almost thought it went more into Podcastle territory (not that that would have been bad), but then it didn't.

I have a Ukrainian friend who played the fainting game as a teenager and he still claims it was the most normal thing to do...

harrietpodder

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:49:08 PM
This might be a spoiler but I don't know how to hide spoilers so hopefully somebody else could help. The static place in the story  made me think of the sunken place in get out

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 01:59:31 AM
I had a whole bucket of nope while listening to it.  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

This episode, I took a pass... or passed it by... or passed out?!  ::)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 02:00:57 AM
This might be a spoiler but I don't know how to hide spoilers so hopefully somebody else could help. The static place in the story  made me think of the sunken place in get out

Hi there. Use the little fall-out shelter symbol. Add your spoiler within the tags.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.