Author Topic: PC537: To the Moon  (Read 3191 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: August 28, 2018, 05:46:11 PM
PodCastle 537: To the Moon

Rated PG-13, for inhumanity and painful truths.

Originally published in Fireside.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 06:49:40 PM
This gave me a sharp kick in the white, liberal, middle-aged ass. Damn. Thanks for posting this complicated tale.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 10:08:23 AM
This reminded me a lot of contacts I had to recent immigrants, including refugees from wars or political oppression and economic refugees. I've had political refugees confess to me after a year of friendship that they falsified their claims (which has no impact on friendship), but I've also visited Syrian war refugees who know they can't return home for years, even after the war is over. Assad has lists of dissidents and even before the civil war there had been oppression against opposition.

It's a complex topic, and I think the story dealt with it right. Well, the "we don't want you on the moon" metaphor was a bit heavy handed, but the rest was great. I except nothing less from Liu of course.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:28:59 PM
This made me tear up, as Liu stories invariably do. The allegory used in the storytelling, real strife told as a fairy tale, I loved that so much. It grieves me that only the "right" stories will be accepted.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Scuba Man

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 11:23:52 PM
There’s no truth. If I were put into such a desparate situation, would I BS a sad, sad story to pull at the heart-strings of my legal aid? I don’t know (as I’ve lived in Canada since I was born). It makes me wonder how much of what my grandmother told me about fleeing Estonia at the end of WW2 was embellished (the possibility that my ancestors might have played the Nazis & Red Army against each other is a WHOLE OTHER ball of wax [do I have collaborators among my deceased kin?]). 

This episode was messy & effective story-telling. Nice.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 10:59:00 PM
“Go home, Sally. All asylum applicants lie, and you don’t want to examine their stories too closely. Even if some horrible things did happen to them, they have to compete with the stories told by economic immigrants who want to avoid deportation by lying. So they embellish their stories with more terrible details, sculpt them in ways they think we want, and we believe them because their stories confirm for us how orderly, how safe, and how much better we are than the rest of the world. They assure us that we’re still exceptional.”

Brutal. Excellent work by Ken Liu, as always.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scuba Man

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 01:17:29 PM
I'm catching up on the channel. It's been several months (?) after this was aired. Yep, this episode is still messy and poignant. Nice.