Author Topic: PC538: Itself at the Heart of Things  (Read 2552 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: September 04, 2018, 07:02:15 PM

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 03:54:13 AM
I'mma say it: I could not be more confused. I listened, thought maybe I just hadn't paid enough attention, so I read the text on the Podcastle site...and I still have no idea what I just read/listened to.

I guess I'm not the audience for this type of story. I feel like there was something there I should have gotten, but...I did not.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

cvaughan

• Extern
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 01:56:00 PM
I still have no idea what I just read/listened to.

Same.  I also read the text online just in case I had been distracted or something when listening... alas, I am still uncertain what exactly happened. this story feels like and excerpt from a larger tale where everything is explained.  I always felt like I had started in the middle, missing key information.   

the world seems like it might be interesting if I actually understood it.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 06:22:27 PM
I was meditatively using a whet stone on a bushcraft knife while I listened to this wonderfully odd tale.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’m pleased I listened to it after The Threadbare Magician (and that was all good antivenom after watching that cringeworthy Marvel movie, Avengers, infinity War.)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 10:09:37 AM
I also didn't quite get it and regarded it as a metaphor of nazi occupation of France and the fate of minorities.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 06:46:44 PM
I agree with ScubaMan And Moritz. Even if it was obtuse, the prose was beautiful.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 12:03:04 AM
This one was too abstract for me as well. The most meaningful part for me was when the protagonist said that everything would be the same after the invasion, but they would be like ghosts. The societies didn't differ too greatly from each other, but who was allowed to contribute and benefit from them changed.