Author Topic: Film Poll Week 4: The Revenge!  (Read 7348 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: October 24, 2007, 05:13:43 PM
I pick the flims from my list randomly, but this week they seem to have a Halloween theme...

Also, you'll note the poll choices are now Amazon links.  If you happen to want to buy one of the DVDs, a little of the money goes to the pod.  So if it's something you wanted to buy anyway, it's a painless way to donate.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 06:42:46 PM
oh man it's really difficult this week, I have seen everythign except Snakes on a Plane and love them all.  Can I vote for 3 movies? ;)

Well after much hemming and hawing I decided on goign with Nightmare before Christmas.  It' the only movie I collect memorabilia from on the list.  I have several of the toys from the original release, most of the Disney Beanies, Snow globes, Bedside Lamp, desk set etc.  I also enjoyed the two other movies made in this style I can think of off hand, James and the Giant Peach and The Corpse Bride. 

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 06:47:00 PM by lowky »

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 07:32:03 PM
I also enjoyed the two other movies made in this style I can think of off hand, James and the Giant Peach and The Corpse Bride. 

The style name you're looking for is, "Completely and unashamedly ripping off Edward Gorey".

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 08:28:19 PM
The two I'm stuck between are just such totally different movies.  Ilike them for different reasons.  I'll have to look at it again tomorrow.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 11:19:30 PM
I also enjoyed the two other movies made in this style I can think of off hand, James and the Giant Peach and The Corpse Bride. 

The style name you're looking for is, "Completely and unashamedly ripping off Edward Gorey".

as a fan of Gorey I don't really see it.  Especially with James and the Giant Peach.  I meant the style of animation anyways, not Burton's style.  Calling Burton's film style a rip off of Edward Gorey means you also have to call JTHM and Lenore rip offs of Edward Gorey.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:52:28 AM
Haven´t seen The Sining or Snakes on a Plane and Twelve Monkeys bored me because I got the ending very early in the film and spent the rest of it just waiting for it to be confirmed.

I went with Nightmare. Don´t care whether its derivative of someone else´s style or not, it was still great. Plus Danny Elfman was singing and I love Danny Elfman.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 04:19:22 PM
I think I'll sit this week out.  I haven't seen the Shining or Snakes on a Plane.  I really liked the other three.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 06:50:09 PM
No contest because I've only seen Edward Scissorhands. I have a poster of him in my room. No interest in Snakes on a Plane and I wasn't allowed to see The Nightmare Before Christmas when I was a kid.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 06:51:09 PM
No contest because I've only seen Edward Scissorhands. I have a poster of him in my room. No interest in Snakes on a Plane and I wasn't allowed to see The Nightmare Before Christmas when I was a kid.

Why? It fits pretty solidly into the P of the G's category of MPAA rating.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 06:06:41 PM
Y'know, I have to go with Snakes on a Plane because I have good memories attached to it -- the internet buildup, seeing it with friends, quoting lines, blogging about it...  things you like are sometimes shaped by what happens around them.  Like, for example, I like The Frighteners because of the memories I have around it, not just because it's a pretty decent movie.  The same with The Girl Next Door.

The theater erupted into cheers when Samuel L Jackson said That Line, even though it was shoehorned in and really didn't fit with the character's general aura of calm.  But I still liked the movie.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 08:00:49 PM
I have to go with Snakes on a Plane

And yet, there still are no votes for Snakes on a Plane?!?

I was very curious how this one would do.  The movie got so much pre-release attention based on the name alone.  As Steve said in one of his intros - just from the name you know if it's the kind of flim you want to see or not.  Personally, I'm solidly in the "not" category.  Okay, so we have a nonsense premise that promises to take itself too seriously, and offer no characterization or plot to speak of.  Why would I want to see this again?

I put it in the virtual hat just to see if anybody actually thought it lived up to the hype, and was willing to list it among their favorite flims...