Author Topic: Voting Rules and Schedule  (Read 10808 times)

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-
on: September 26, 2018, 08:13:30 PM
We're about to enter the voting period for the Cast of Wonders Flash Fiction Contest!

There are 122 stories in the group stages. These have been randomly assigned to ten groups of 10 stories each, and two of 11.

A few submissions were disqualified for various reasons - being over the word limit, previous appearances in other EA flash contests, very inappropriate content for Cast of Wonders, or just not containing any speculative elements at all. The authors of those stories have already been notified.

In each group, pick up to 3 favorite stories to vote on.  You are perfectly allowed to vote for less than 3. The top three stories in each group will go on the semi-final round, where there will be four groups of 9 stories each.

The top three stories in each semi-final group will go to the final round, where there will be one group of 12 stories. The top three stories in this group will be the overall winners.

In any of the groups, if there is a tie for third place, the tied stories will all ascend to the next round. If there is a tie in the final round, the editorial staff will decide whether to consider all tied stories as winners or whether to hold a tie-breaker round.

VOTING RULES (shamelessly plagiarised from Eytanz's EP contest post)

1. This contest is being run by astrokath, assistant editor for Cast of Wonders and temporary possessor of Sparkly Moderator Powers.  If needed, other forum moderators may be brought in, and that will be announced. If one of the moderators submitted an entry, they will not use any of their moderator abilities in the contest forums without disqualifying their entry.

2. Stories will be posted anonymously. Authors will be revealed after their story either loses or wins the contest. If we discover that an author has revealed their authorship of a story before it is allowed (in the contest threads or elsewhere), that is grounds for disqualification of the story. The contest is to be won on the merits of the story, not the popularity of the author. Please do not try to guess at the authors, at least publicly. Those posts will be deleted and the poster will be warned. As an author, please do not try to garner outside support through blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc. - please just link to the contest in general, not your own story.  It is very easy to see when something dubious is going on with the voting.

3. As always, constructive discussion is encouraged about all stories posted in this contest. The key word here is constructive. Normal forum rules remain in place. Be civil and respectful. That's our one rule. Rude and unconstructive negativity will be deleted or edited, and the offending poster will be warned. This goes for authors as well. You are free to comment on any story, including your own, but keep it civil and respectful. I reserve the right to kick any author and their stories out of the contest should there be ample reason. ADDENDUM. We have a number of story submissions from young authors. Please bear that in mind when commenting on stories - I would encourage you all to be encouraging in your constructive criticism.

4. Creating multiple accounts to vote for a story will get you banned from the forums and your story kicked from the contest. If you are sharing a computer, living space, or router with someone else who will be voting or creating an account, make sure to message me. Failure to do so may result in various adverse effects such as account deletion and/or banning.

5. It is perfectly fine to vote for your own story. In fact, we encourage all authors to do so because that levels the playing field. Only avoid voting for your own story if you genuinely believe other stories should win over it, not just to be polite, please.

Please read and re-read these rules before asking questions.  That all said, any questions, comments, concerns?

VOTING SCHEDULE:

I will aim to open polls at roughly 9am UK time - that's BST for the first few groups, but it'll shift to an hour earlier (9am GMT) as soon as the clocks go back.
(Note that because of external constraints, I may not be able to open all polls at exactly the same time each day. If they start late, the missed time will be added on to the end).

Group 1: Wednesday 3rd October - Wednesday 10th October
Group 2: Friday 5th October - Friday 12th October
Group 3: Sunday 7th October - Sunday 14th October
Group 4: Tuesday 9th October - Tuesday 16th October
Group 5: Thursday 11th October - Thursday 18th October
Group 6: Saturday 13th October - Saturday 20th October
Group 7: Monday 15th October - Monday 22nd October
Group 8: Wednesday 17th October - Wednesday 24th October
Group 9: Friday 19th October - Friday 26th October
Group 10: Sunday 21st October - Sunday 28th October
Group 11: Tuesday 23rd October - Tuesday 30th October
Group 12: Thursday 25th October - Thursday 1st November

The semi-final groups will all come up simultaneously on Saturday 3rd November, and will close on Saturday 10th November.

The final group will start on Sunday 11th November at 9am GMT and end on Sunday 18th November at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:59:17 AM by astrokath »

Not the droid you're looking for.

Ronan

• Hipparch
  • Repealed!
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 04:25:20 PM
Thanks for all your efforts in setting this up, astrokath.

Repealed!

astrokath

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:33:00 AM
No probs, Ronan! It's good fun!

NathanWrites

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 10:34:21 AM
Thanks for all your efforts in setting this up, astrokath.

This!
I volunteer as an editor at a journal, and I know how time consuming this can be!
Thanks a ton!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:58:13 PM by NathanWrites »

astrokath

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:42:45 AM
Group A is up!

(Slightly late - bumped into a school friend I've not seen in 20 years!!)

Liam

• Lochage
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:24:32 AM
Let battle (or voting, anyway) begin!

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 03:33:52 PM
I am so grateful to you for taking this on, astrokath <3 thank you!

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 04:24:58 PM
Yay! First round is up! :D

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

DUFFY

• Extern
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 06:25:19 PM
Okay, I'm sure once I see the answer I will smack myself in the forehead and say 'DUH'; but, how does one vote? Thanks

astrokath

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 06:26:00 PM
Okay, I'm sure once I see the answer I will smack myself in the forehead and say 'DUH'; but, how does one vote? Thanks

There's a poll in each group. Now that you've made your first post, you should be able to see the group folder.

Moosey

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 09:09:38 PM
First post

ericfomley

• Extern
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 09:18:25 PM
First Post

astrokath

Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 07:54:36 AM
Group B now up!

Frances

• Extern
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 03:04:13 PM
I can't find the stories from the second group. Help.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 03:20:07 PM
I can't find the stories from the second group. Help.

now that you've made your first post, you should see both the first and the second group.

ms.reiyin

• Extern
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 08:22:55 PM
First post

Andrea P.

• Extern
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 01:37:26 PM
first post

astrokath

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 07:52:55 AM
Group C is up!

creativeboomer

• Extern
Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 12:02:49 AM
First post. Looking forward to reading all the flash fiction in the contest.

Elfchan

• Extern
Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:40 PM
So, if I post here I should be able to vote?

NathanWrites

• Peltast
Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 11:35:00 AM
So, if I post here I should be able to vote?

Yes, and welcome! The groups should appear in “child boards”  under the Cast of Wonders Flash Fiction Contest V

astrokath

Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 08:13:48 AM
The final group has been posted!

astrokath

Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 10:03:51 AM
The semi finals are OPEN FOR VOTING!

Deborah L. Davitt

• Matross
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 12:42:07 AM
Group IV is showing internal server error. This thread, when I've gone to reply to it, shows an "out of memory" error.

EDIT: Actually, it's moved between different groups, and sometimes the entire forum just refuses to load. Sounds like TappaTalk is having issues.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:47:20 AM by Deborah L. Davitt »

astrokath

Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 12:36:45 PM
The final will open for voting on Sunday morning UK time.