Author Topic: CoW Ep. 323: Banned Books Week – “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical..."  (Read 3173 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Cast of Wonders 323: Banned Books Week – “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies”

• Author: Alix E. Harrow
• Narrator: Lisa Hicks
• Host: Marguerite Kenner
• Audio Producer Jeremy Carter
• First published in Apex Magazine, February 2018
Click here to listen to Episode 323

Alix is a part-time historian with a full-time desk job, a debilitating re-reading habit, and authorial ambitions. She and her husband live in Kentucky under the cheerful tyranny of their one year old. Her most recent story — “The Autobiography of a Traitor and a Half-Savage” — is available on Tor.com.

Lisa Hicks is an audiobook narrator for ACX-Audible, a voice coach and a theatre director. She also teaches theatre studies at an international school in Waterloo, Belgium. In her spare time, she loves to take long walks, buds firmly planted in ears, listening to audiobooks and podcasts.

GEORGE, JC—THE RUNAWAY PRINCE—J FIC GEO 1994

You’d think it would make us happy when a kid checks out the same book a zillion times in a row, but actually it just keeps us up at night.
[/b]

The Runaway Prince is one of those low-budget young adult fantasies from the mid-nineties, before J.K. Rowling arrived to tell everyone that magic was cool, printed on brittle yellow paper. It’s about a lonely boy who runs away and discovers a Magical Portal into another world where he has Medieval Adventures, but honestly there are so many typos most people give up before he even finds the portal.

Tags: Alix E. Harrow, Banned Books Week, Banned Books Week 2018, Cast of Wonders, foster, foster child, Jeremy Carter, librarian, library, Lisa Hicks, Marguerite Kenner, reading, runaway, searching, sympathy, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult fiction

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Exceptionally good pick. The emotions were strong in this one.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Apparently a lot of people thought this one was powerful!

http://www.thehugoawards.org/2019/04/2019-hugo-award-1944-retro-hugo-award-finalists

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”