Author Topic: Short Fiction Podcasts (List of)  (Read 4769 times)

RNDG33K

• Extern
on: November 13, 2007, 02:56:37 AM
Really enjoying escape pod, I tried to find other podcasts that produce short fiction on a regular basis. However, I have not been able to find many podcasts that: 1) contain short fiction and 2) are produced on a regular basis. Trying not to seem ignorant, I would still like to ask the collective members of the escape artist discussion forums for suggestions (on quality podcasts and podiobooks).

I mostly prefer science fiction thats no more than 45 minutes long, and more like 10 -15. I also prefer short stories over an ongoing series, but I do enjoy a good story regardless. 2 podcasts I enjoy immensely are www.escapepod.org and www.drabblecast.org

goatkeeper

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 03:08:21 AM
There are some other posts around these forums that have more suggestions.
Check out variant frequencies, darker projects, and well told tales

jimmowatt

• Extern
    • Historyzine
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:03:33 AM
Have a browse through the catalog at Librivox.
It's a volunteer group who record public domain texts and place those recordings in the public domain.
There's a lot of Golden Age SF where the copright has been allowed to lapse.
Several of the volunteers are recording these now.
Go to the catalog from that home page and start playing about with some search terms. I think you should find some nice surprises among the short fiction.

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:58:48 AM
National Public Radio podcasts the weekly "Selected Shorts" radio show. It's pretty tightly constrained into a one-hour format because of the original medium, but is usually fun. I think it updates on Sunday or Monday, but I'm not sure.

On the topic of public radio, This American Life is available as a free podcast. It's not fiction, but has stories interesting enough that they might as well be. Host Ira Glass from Chicago Public Radio presents one to three stories on a given theme. If this week's episode, The Super, is still available,  you simply HAVE to listen to it.

The New Yorker magazine also has a fiction podcast. This is pretty nice, even if a bit on the highbrow/semi-pretentious side. A current writer chooses a story from the New Yorker's fiction archives and introduces the author. After you hear the story there's a little discussion and analysis of it at the end, by the same writer who did the intro. It's nice to see what other writers like to read and the podcast is well-produced. It is a little short, though, and only updates monthly.

There's also something called the Classic Tales podcast that highlights older stories. It's well-produced, but your enjoyment is dependent on how you feel about a certain slightly archaic style of writing.

Steve has mentioned The Drabblecast. It updates weekly and has very short (usually 2000 word or less) stories that usually have twist endings. The production values are top-notch and the quality of the reading is some of the best I've heard. It is marred by what I consider slightly sophomoric introductions with little to do with the actual fiction, but if you can get past those it's worth a listen.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:15:48 AM
Try http://timetravelershow.com/
It's a monthly podcast with reviews, interviews with authors, and a vintage short story from the olden days.

It has a few odd other gems as well.
Ep. #10 http://timetravelershow.com/2006/11/ has a 1-hour speech delivered by Isaac Asimov, from 1974 at Johns Hopkins University, on the topic of Utopian Change.
Ep. #9 http://timetravelershow.com/2006/10/ has an old radio interview with Orson Welles and H.G. Wells in the same studio, talking about War Of The Worlds.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:08:55 PM

Steve has mentioned The Drabblecast. It updates weekly and has very short (usually 2000 word or less) stories that usually have twist endings. The production values are top-notch and the quality of the reading is some of the best I've heard. It is marred by what I consider slightly sophomoric introductions with little to do with the actual fiction, but if you can get past those it's worth a listen.

I enjoy the "sophomoric" intros, drabblenews, drabble contests, etc.  I often find myself laughing out loud.  I guess that's not for everyone.  Great podcast. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:18:03 PM
Yeah, I'm actually a big fan of The Drabblecast.  Great show, and the intro/outro segments are part of the show.  On their own, some of the stories themselves just wouldn't stand up without all the help from Norm.  For an example, see my drabble, "Swept Off Her Feet", early in episode 49.

Another great one is the Cthulhu Podcast, from another EA Forum denizen, FNH.  He 'casts weekly, with fiction from the Lovecraftian horror genre.  I'm still catching up on the back catalog, but I'm enjoying it quite a lot.  He also features genre poetry, some of it by Lovecraft himself, as well as period music to help set the tone.  Some of the fiction is vintage Lovecraft, and some is new and original.  He's also looking for submissions, if you'd like to try your hand at the style.  Have a look here --> http://cthulhu.mypodcast.com/