Author Topic: PseudoPod 611: WEIRD SCIENCE HORROR ISSUE #2: The Vaults of Yoh Vombis  (Read 2369 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 611: WEIRD SCIENCE HORROR ISSUE #2: The Vaults of Yoh Vombis

by Clark Ashton-Smith
Narrated by Dr. Hal
Hosted by Alasdair Stuart

An edited version of “The Vault of Yoh Vombis” appeared in Weird Tales, May 1932.

Show Notes
This is the restored version of “The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis” including nearly two thousand words of atmospheric description excised by Smith (at the insistence of Weird Tales editor Farnsworth Wright), while preserving the envelopment of the story.

As an interne in the terrestrial hospital at Ignarh, I had charge of the singular case of Rodney Severn, the one surviving member of the Octave Expedition to Yoh-Vombis, and took down the following story from his dictation. Severn had been brought to the hospital by the Martian guides of the Expedition. He was suffering from a horribly lacerated and inflamed condition of the scalp and brow, and was wildly delirious part of the time and had to be held down in his bed during recurrent seizures of a mania whose violence was doubly inexplicable in view of his extreme debility.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
This was the episode with several authors having a go at it, right?  Yep, as Norm Sherman (will hopefully once again say on version 2 of H.P. Lovecraft Month)... this is purple prose.

I'm re-listening to their insane back-catalogue (like my contribution to 'you', I feel justified in sending $10/mo their way too [again]).

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Actually, that would be "The Challenge From Beyond", not this episode:

http://pseudopod.org/2018/09/21/pp-613-challenge-from-beyond/

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, crap. nevermind then. still, +1 eh.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Ichneumon

• Matross
There was an impressive mix of in-your-face body horror and ancient and unknowable dread in this one. I think this story will stick with me more than others from the same time period. Now I want to know what would have come out of an Edgar Rice Burroughs and H.P. Lovecraft collaboration.