Escape Artists
December 17, 2017, 12:53:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Listener's Writing Adventures  (Read 79840 times)
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »

"Shell Game" Chapter 17 was finished yesterday -- 4900 words.

"113 Feet" goes into the mail this afternoon.  First stop: Asimov's.  Regrettably, they don't accept online submissions, so I have to mail the thing.  $4, not including the "hey, secretary, sign this and mail it back" green card.  $1.82 for postage each way, plus the "I'm actually reading this now" postcard if they choose to send it back...

Anyway, wish me luck!

You sent it return receipt?

Actually, no.  Since I posted that, our executive assistant, a big-time SF/F/H fan, borrowed the automated postal meter so I wouldn't have to drive 5 miles out of the way this evening to buy stamps.  I did include a stamped "please drop this in the mail" postcard in the hopes that they will, but they say if you haven't heard within five days of postmark (which is tomorrow) to consider it lost and submit again.

I'm going to drop it in the OGM box in a few minutes.  We have a schoolbus on fire right now.  You can go to livenewscameras.com and pick "Atlanta NBC 1" to view it, if you're so inclined.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
jrderego
Hipparch

Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »

"113 Feet" goes into the mail this afternoon.  First stop: Asimov's.  Regrettably, they don't accept online submissions, so I have to mail the thing.  $4, not including the "hey, secretary, sign this and mail it back" green card.  $1.82 for postage each way, plus the "I'm actually reading this now" postcard if they choose to send it back...

Anyway, wish me luck!

Actually, no.  Since I posted that, our executive assistant, a big-time SF/F/H fan, borrowed the automated postal meter so I wouldn't have to drive 5 miles out of the way this evening to buy stamps.  I did include a stamped "please drop this in the mail" postcard in the hopes that they will, but they say if you haven't heard within five days of postmark (which is tomorrow) to consider it lost and submit again.

I'm going to drop it in the OGM box in a few minutes.  We have a schoolbus on fire right now.  You can go to livenewscameras.com and pick "Atlanta NBC 1" to view it, if you're so inclined.

Ah, I misunderstood. Good luck with Asimovs Smiley

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html
Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »

Anyway, wish me luck!

Ah, I misunderstood. Good luck with Asimovs Smiley

Thanks.

You actually didn't misunderstand.  I did not post an update.  So let's just call it even.   Roll Eyes

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 03:47:57 PM »

Asimov's sent me back my stamped postcard that I asked them to send back when they got the story.  Someone actually signed it, too, which was nice.  Yay paper trail!

The reason I haven't been on the forums much is the same reason I haven't been writing:  work.  Lots and lots of it.  I basically wrote 75% of a new website in the past five business days, minus Monday because I was sick.

Oh, yeah, a crippling 24-hour stomach virus blew through my family -- daughter, then wife, then me -- and now my mother-in-law has it (she came over to help us with the baby while we went to the doctor Sunday).  So any writing I planned to do this weekend was moot.

I did about 2000 words of Shell Game Chapter 19 last night, so at least that was something.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »

Finished "Shell Game" chapter 19, now 2000 words into 20 and have about 3000 more to go.

19 was interesting to me because of... okay, so, when you write a character, you've built this person, basically, who has to react in character.  So Sarah did something, and Michael reacted the only possible way he could.  I never thought I would write that scene, but I did, and the aftereffects stretch into the start of 20.

Still haven't heard back on "113 Feet" yet.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »

Asimov's did not buy "113 Feet".  The editor sent a personalized rejection letter complete with suggestions for improvement, which was greatly appreciated.  I'll probably go back and revise it in a few weeks.

"Shell Game" continues into its 22nd chapter, now up over 111,000 words.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 12:40:43 PM »

Asimov's did not buy "113 Feet".  The editor sent a personalized rejection letter complete with suggestions for improvement, which was greatly appreciated.  I'll probably go back and revise it in a few weeks.

"Shell Game" continues into its 22nd chapter, now up over 111,000 words.

Wow, a personal rejection from Asimov's is a rare feat!  Congrats on a good rejection, man, and good luck with the next market.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »

Finished Chapter 22 of "Shell Game".  Finally.  It was a really tough one, because I had to seriously hurt one of my characters and I felt really crappy about it.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 08:34:06 AM »

I still need to write more of "Shell Game", but last night I did the first 2000 words of its sequel.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »

3000 words in on "Shell Game" chapter 23.  I hope to get some writing done this weekend while on vacation.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 08:02:28 AM »

I wrote absolutely nothing while on vacation, but after we came back, I finished Chapter 23 (5700 words) and Chapter 24 (about 5000 words), and got about 2500 words into Chapter 25.

Since the book is outlined to end after 26 chapters, I'm pleased to say I'm almost done.  Yay!  Up over 130,000 words now in total.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 08:10:27 AM »

Chapter 25 ended with a total just over 4900 words.

Chapter 26 is in progress, up to about 2400 words now.

I may have to stretch it to a 27th chapter, but the problem I'm running into is the past/present divide.  I have enough material for the present, but not for the past.

Oh, and there'll be a prologue.

Last night I also came up with some art/production design for the story, as well as a dedication and author's note, and a little chunk of the acknowledgments page.

Here's the dedication:

To Clare:

Professor Shell is nothing like Alan Rickman.  Sorry to disappoint you.

And to Mary:

I'll leave the metal spatula in the drawer.  I promise.

(Clare and Mary are my beta readers.)

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 08:37:35 AM »

Shell Game is DONE!!!! ZOMG!!!!

139,484 words.  26 chapters, one short epilogue.

Next step:  rereading to make sure the timeline is accurate.  Then giving the whole book to my beta readers so they can give it a critique (Clare and Mary, referenced in the previous post).

If you are not put off by BDSM fiction and explicit sex and you would like to help in the next-draft process, let me know.  I would put this in the Crit Group, but I haven't even had time to check it out yet.  I just wanted to crow for a moment.  I realize this is an SF/F/H board, but hey, we all write different things, and the main characters ARE a tad geeky, so there's at least a LITTLE SF in the book. *grin*

Anyway.

ZOMG!!!!

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »

Very cool, man.  Congratulations on getting it finished!

Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 09:03:09 PM »

Grats! I'm feeling less and less daunted about writing a novel, and other people finishing them always gives me a little more strength. Thanks for not giving up and giving the rest of us hope!

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.
Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 06:22:42 AM »

Last night, I wrote a 5914-word horror story about a couple that buys a fixer-upper house, and the horrifying experiences of a family that lived there 18 years ago torment the husband in his dreams.

It's a really hard story to describe.

It also horrified me more than a little.

Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »

Reminds me of Amityville Horror.

Also, there is a kid outside advancing like a soldier while he carries a nerf gun.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.
Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 02:53:27 PM »

"113 Feet" has been revised.  It's gone up to 11,787 words (about 39 pages, but there's quite a bit of dialogue, and that pads page count).  I'm going to show it to my betas (who have read it already) and a couple of other people (who haven't) and then resubmit it to Asimov's.  Then, if the editor says no, I'll try another market.

(She said "I can't promise I'll buy it if you do decide to work on a rewrite, but I would be very happy to take second look at this story."  That combined with her opening, that she liked it but was disappointed by the ending, is promising, at least IMO.)

I think today I'll find another market to submit "The Very Next Day" to.  That one's about as done as I want to make it.  I'll let you know.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 02:54:48 PM »

Oh, and I also started writing a timeline for "Shell Game" -- basically, skimming the chapters and laying out everything that happens to make sure I get all the dates and times right.  I'd hate for a reader to be pulled out of the story because I wasn't accurate with my facts.  After I finish that, I'm going to probably put it on the shelf for a few weeks before printing it out (all 260-plus pages, which are single-spaced, so imagine what it'll be like when I DS it for editing) and working on revisions.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »

Sent "The Very Next Day" to Ideomancer.  Should know by 7/17 if they've accepted it, rejected it, or put it in the "we're not sure" stack.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: