Escape Artists
December 12, 2018, 02:19:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Listener's Writing Adventures  (Read 100457 times)
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2008, 07:52:27 PM »

Final revision of "113 Feet" is done.  Special thanks to DKT for a private reread.  I'll be mailing it back to Asimov's tomorrow, and if they don't buy it this time, I'll be sending it elsewhere.  Honestly, I think I've reached the point where I can't possibly make any more revisions that will improve the story.

So here goes...

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 09:53:43 PM »

First draft of the new fantasy story is done.  At least, I think it best qualifies as fantasy.  Perhaps SF.  But not horror.  It's not horrific.  I like to think I made it funny at least some of the time.

I have no idea what I'm going to call it, but as I may have mentioned, it's a retelling of the story of Super Mario Bros, in the same vein as "Tin Man" being a retelling of "The Wizard of Oz". 

7553 words.

Not sure if I'm going to put it in the crit group, but before I even consider that, I still need to do my first revision.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »

"The Very Next Day" rejected by Ideomancer. Ah, well.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 01:43:39 PM »

Sending:

* Asimov's has confirmed receipt of the rewrite of "113 Feet".

Revising:

* Fantasy/Adventure/Comedy about a couple of plumbers who meet a turtle/dragon and a princess who floats.
* Horror about a husband who, while remodeling his house, starts having nightmares that affect him physically.  They're about a horrible thing that happened in the house 15-17 years ago.
* Sci-fi about aliens who come to earth during a baseball game.
* "Shell Game", a novel for adults.

Rewriting:

* Horror about a homicidal body pillow.

Writing:

* "Memory", about aliens who only have a limited store of "hard drive space" (for lack of a better term) in their brains.  Very hard sci-fi.
* "Rebecca Shell Grows Up", the sequel to "Shell Game".
* "Any Port in a Storm", erotica between over-40s.

Considering:

* Doing a version of the horror story about the remodeling to make it more like my original vision.
* "Imperfection", an erotica story about the imperfections we all have and how to break through them, inspired by a recent conversation with my friend Bad Bad Girl (obviously a pseudonym).

I think that's everything.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2008, 11:35:44 AM »

Sending:

* No news on "113 Feet" yet.

Revising:

* No major crits from the group on the remodeling story.  I may shelve it for a while.
* "Shell Game" first read continues, pre-revision.

Rewriting:

* No change

Writing:

* New SF adventure-ish story in the "Ten Families" universe I created in 2004 but never did anything with.  Up to 15 handwritten pages out of (I'm guessing) 21-22.
* Imperfection (stalled)

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:50 AM »

"Return to Waypoint 5" has been completed -- first draft, between 7000 and 7500 words.  It's sci-fi adventure.  I will be posting it in the Crit Group once I go through my first round of revisions, which will be done as I type it in.

Yep.  I hand-wrote it.  25 college-ruled single-spaced pages.  Took about eight hours over three days to do.

I'm hoping it becomes the first in a series; I already know most of what the next story will be about, at any rate.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 07:47:04 AM »

I never watched Babylon 5, but my cubicle-mate, who did, said the beginning is a little too reminiscent of it.  I'll have to revise that part soon.

Started writing the second part.  Mostly on Kage Gray's ship, though toward the end we will land on a planet for a rendezvous and a plot coupon I dropped at the beginning will be used to save the day.

Anarkey
Meen Pie
Hipparch

...depends a good deal on where you want to get to

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 02:28:25 PM »

Revising:

* No major crits from the group on the remodeling story.  I may shelve it for a while.

Hey, Listener, I was planning to give you a crit on the remodeling story, but I have to re-read it first and it's a little daunting atm, bc of subject matter (not that this is a bad thing, y'understand).  Anyway, 4th of July caught up with me and I was out of townish for a while which makes me behind on a number of things.  Do you still want crits when I get around to it or have I missed the expiration date?

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 03:19:23 PM »

Revising:

Hey, Listener, I was planning to give you a crit on the remodeling story, but I have to re-read it first and it's a little daunting atm, bc of subject matter (not that this is a bad thing, y'understand).  Anyway, 4th of July caught up with me and I was out of townish for a while which makes me behind on a number of things.  Do you still want crits when I get around to it or have I missed the expiration date?

What she said.  I'm going to read it sometime this week, just haven't had the time yet. 

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »

No, no limit on when you comment on it.  I'm not upset that it didn't get reviews; I know it's heavy, and graphic, and not for everyone.  But then, it's horror, and I find I can write pretty horrifically.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »

Okay, here it is:

I have written a novel for adults.  I hesitate to call it erotica, not because I have anything against erotica (I actually like it very much Smiley ), but because I feel it is more than just 140,000 words about sex.  It's also about people.  I grew to love these characters over the course of 26 chapters, and there were times when even I couldn't believe what they were doing, times when even my heart was beating fast at the action (non-sexual) in the story.

It's not SF, not Fantasy, and not Horror.  It would probably be shelved in the Erotica section because the central plots of the story are related to BDSM.

However, I would welcome anyone who enjoys that sort of thing to read it.  It's posted on AdultFanFiction, because for several years I was a member of that community.  There's even some fanfic on there, but don't judge me too harshly; all of it's written before I refined my craft.

Here's a direct link to the story:  http://original.adultfanfiction.net/story.php?no=600095956

Enjoy.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »

http://groups.google.com/group/thelistener -- for more updates and insight into stories I've written, and to discuss or ask questions about my non-SF/F/H work, join my mailing list.  If you want.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2008, 05:02:02 PM »

My story "The End of the Movie" is featured this week on the podcast "Air Out My Shorts". Go to http://snurl.com/3238h or iTunes to listen.

It's not awesome, but I think it's decently visceral.  I've discovered since February, when I wrote it, that I don't function too well in the sub-2000-word genre, but it was a fun creative exercise.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »

"Rendezvous at Blue Valley" is done.  I'm not thrilled with it, but that's what revisions are for.  It's about 23 hand-written pages, but I drew some diagrams of the ship as I went, so it's probably closer to 21.

I think the next Kage Gray adventure will be where they add the third member of the crew -- an engineer, most likely.  I haven't conceived him in my brain yet.

I wonder if I shouldn't consider podcasting these at some point.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »

Definitely getting closer to the idea of doing the Kage Gray Adventures as a podcast series.  And, on the plus side, I have a professional actor to play the bad guy in the first episode -- the guy who's playing Shimizu in "The Kingery" and Thrawn in "Star Wars: Dark Harvest".  He introduced me to EP... it's only fair... *grin*

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »

With all your experience, a podcast probably wouldn't be too far off a shot for you.  Good luck!

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2008, 04:16:16 PM »

With all your experience, a podcast probably wouldn't be too far off a shot for you.  Good luck!

Well, now that my cold is getting better, I can start writing the next one.  I only write these in bed, by hand.  Then I have to type them in.  Then I have to edit them.  So the first one probably won't make air until at least October.  But thanks.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2008, 12:59:14 PM »

Well, the unnamed Kage Gray Adventure #3 has about 12 pages to its credit.  These stories have been running 21-25, but this one I may have written myself into a bit of a corner.  Plus, this one is the Sex Episode.  It does have space pirates in it, and also a space-Lucy Lane type of character (Smallville version).

Russell Nash
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »

Well, the unnamed Kage Gray Adventure #3 has about 12 pages to its credit.  These stories have been running 21-25, but this one I may have written myself into a bit of a corner.  Plus, this one is the Sex Episode.  It does have space pirates in it, and also a space-Lucy Lane type of character (Smallville version).

Lucy Lane???
Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 01:48:39 PM »

Lucy Lane???

Specifically, this iteration.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: