Author Topic: PseudoPod 613: WEIRD SCIENCE HORROR ISSUE #2: The Challenge from Beyond  (Read 2076 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 613: WEIRD SCIENCE HORROR ISSUE #2: The Challenge from Beyond

by H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, C.L. Moore, A. Merritt and Frank Belknap Long
Narrated by Ben Phillips, Marty Perrett, Dave Robison, Elie Hirschman and Peter Piazza
Hosted by Alasdair Stuart

The Challenge from Beyond was first published in Fantasy Magazine, September 1935

The Challenge from Beyond
a round robin story by C.L. Moore, A. Merritt, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, and Frank Belknap Long

George Campbell opened sleep-fogged eyes upon darkness and lay gazing out of the tent flap upon the pale August night for some minutes before he roused enough even to wonder what had wakened him. There was in the keen, clear air of these Canadian woods a soporific as potent as any drug. Campbell lay quiet for a moment, sinking slowly back into the delicious borderlands of sleep, conscious of an exquisite weariness, an unaccustomed sense of muscles well used, and relaxed now into perfect ease. These were vacation’s most delightful moments, after all — rest, after toil, in the clear, sweet forest night. st Luxuriously, as his mind sank backward into oblivion, he assured himself once more that three long months of freedom lay before him — freedom from cities and monotony, freedom from pedagogy and the University and students with no rudiments of interest in the geology he earned his daily bread by dinning into their obdurate ears.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

SemaphoreRaven

• Extern
Round Robin stories are a mixed bag, but I had a lot of fun listening to this one.

I particularly adored Robert E. Howard's playfulness. Lovecraft is being as stereotypically lovecraftian as possible and then Howard comes in and goes, "Nah, scratch that, this is now sword-and-sorcery in space." I was not expecting to laugh that hard during my commute today.

I'll have to look into Frank Belknap Long. I haven't read any of his work before, but I'm definitely intrigued now.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
If you are not currently a subscriber, please consider becoming one - we have a Frank Belknap Long classic coming in the "subscribers only" Extrusions series!

SemaphoreRaven

• Extern
Already a subscriber, so I'll look forward to hearing it!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.

I particularly adored Robert E. Howard's playfulness. Lovecraft is being as stereotypically lovecraftian as possible and then Howard comes in and goes, "Nah, scratch that, this is now sword-and-sorcery in space." I was not expecting to laugh that hard during my commute today.

Fuck your Yithian rock, Howie, we're punching shit now!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”