Author Topic: PseudoPod 616: Flash On The Borderlands XLIV: Objectification  (Read 2521 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 616: Flash On The Borderlands XLIV: Objectification

Authors: Heather N. Thomas, Jen C.A. Morris and Lee Battersby
Narrators: Nika Harper, Austin Malone, and Chloë Yates
Host: Alasdair Stuart

PseudoPod 616: Flash On The Borderlands XLIV: Objectification is a PseudoPod original.

Content Warning: Stalking, Assault

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Acth99

• Extern
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 01:27:37 AM
I love this whole episode and the narrators, but I really love the pacing of the reading of I Am Your Dog. I vacillated between picturing Dug from Up and a human psychopath. I'm not sure which is better.....

Anyway - great job!

SemaphoreRaven

• Extern
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 07:37:21 PM
I love this whole episode and the narrators, but I really love the pacing of the reading of I Am Your Dog.

Agreed. The reading made me mentally back up against a wall and go "NOPE" in a way that just reading the story wouldn't have.

Incognita

• Extern
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 08:38:23 AM
The pieces performed in this episode were thought-provoking and deeply unsettling, so well done there! I was, however, struck by how badly Alaisdair’s commentary on several of these pieces whiffed. For example, locating the horror of “I Am Your Dog” in how dehumanizing it can be to work retail not only misses the real horror of the story entirely and ignores vital context clues about what is actually happening, but displays an astonishing lack of insight and sensitivity with regard to stalking, fetishization, and assault, particularly in the midst of the #MeToo movement. That wasn’t the only misstep in interpretation he made in responding to these pieces, but it was the worst and potentially the most damaging—and it clearly emerged from a lack of perspective that was gendered. As a decade-long fan, I strongly urge you to consider either asking a woman to host when running special episodes that are this strongly oriented toward and rooted in women’s experiences—or to at least ask a few women to look over or talk through the commentary before it’s recorded.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 07:41:24 PM
I love this whole episode and the narrators, but I really love the pacing of the reading of I Am Your Dog.

Agreed. The reading made me mentally back up against a wall and go "NOPE" in a way that just reading the story wouldn't have.

All aboard the NOPE train, indeed. :)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.