Author Topic: EP649: Loyalty Test  (Read 3344 times)

divs

on: October 28, 2018, 05:37:05 PM
Escape Pod 649: Loyalty Test

AUTHOR : Andrew Gugdel
NARRATOR : Matt Dovey
HOST: Tina Connolly

---

When the intercom on his desk buzzed, Marc’s head snapped up, instantly awake. He’d been dozing in his chair. His finger stabbed the button that told the boss he was on his way. He stood up and straightened his rumpled gray suit before glancing at his watch. One seventeen AM. It figures. The boss tried to cut him as much slack as he could, but humans just couldn’t keep the same pace as the Vrith, who came from the sunny side of a tidally locked planet and didn’t sleep at all.

“Yes, Governor?” Marc said, even before the door to the boss’ office was fully open. Speaking before he could be seen did double duty: it showed that he was eager to be of service, as well as preventing the boss from seeing his yawn–the Vrith sometimes considered wide-open mouths a sign of aggression, and their claws could cut deep. Marc had a couple of scars on his forearms from when the previous Governor’s instincts got the better of them. It was an occupational hazard of working for the Vrith who now ran Earth’s government.

“Marc,” the translation box on the boss’ desk said. “Tell me about–doors.”

He walked across the rough, tile floor that the Vrith preferred to the side of the desk at the far end of the boss’ office, where he made his obeisance by looking down and crossing his arms at the wrists in a sign of submission. He spoke without looking up. “What would you like to know about doors, Governor?”

“You may look at me when you speak,” the boss replied. “Are doors always necessary?”

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Cyber Spirit

• Extern
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:36:13 AM
Hello, long time listener, first time poster. I really liked this story   :). Having to explain the purpose of a door without mentioning "privacy" was rather novel and I found myself cheering the narrator when they came up with a good explanation.

It also made me wonder if every alien species at a similar level of technology as our own would all have doors. It is not a question I have previously considered and I don't know if I have a good answer to it.

I also enjoyed the ending, the loyalty test within the loyalty test, seemed well done.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 03:24:09 PM
The color language was a cool idea.
I don't know if embedded loyalty test will work out in the end. If I was that guy, it would make me think how tricky and manipulative the aliens were, and that they aren't just clueless overlords. Even the ones supposedly with human interests are probably working a long game for their own self-interest. Maybe their relationship will be a good starting place for the future of humanity, but it is hard to say when the balance of power is so skewed.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:16:25 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this story and was surprised by the ending. Very well done!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 03:30:00 AM

I don't know if embedded loyalty test will work out in the end. If I was that guy, it would make me think how tricky and manipulative the aliens were, and that they aren't just clueless overlords. Even the ones supposedly with human interests are probably working a long game for their own self-interest. Maybe their relationship will be a good starting place for the future of humanity, but it is hard to say when the balance of power is so skewed.

One thing you can always count on is for folks to look out for their best self interest. even our protagonist made his decision with enlightened self interest -- he chose the master he knew over the one who he didn't, because the one he didn't was likely worse for him and his.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”