Author Topic: PC535-536: The Threadbare Magician  (Read 2534 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: August 15, 2018, 01:52:48 AM
PodCastle 535-536: The Threadbare Magician

Rated R, for cursing wizards and magical desires.

Originally published in Genius Loci: Tales of the Spirit of Place.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 02:49:24 PM
It’s a fantastic narration. The protagonist was a right bastard [edit: {at times... other times, he earned my pity}]. He reminded me of a callus John Constantine.
Nice [edit: 2-part episode].
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 06:11:06 PM by Scuba Man »

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 06:23:07 PM
This was really fun! I loved the forms magic could take, clothes-bound magic is delightful. I grieved that selfish love poisoned (literally) the relationship between the protagonist and his ex, but he ended up in a pretty good place, in my opinion.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 11:27:18 PM
This was really fun! I loved the forms magic could take, clothes-bound magic is delightful. I grieved that selfish love poisoned (literally) the relationship between the protagonist and his ex, but he ended up in a pretty good place, in my opinion.
...Re: a good place, indeed....
...until another THING pops up and tries to test their demon-hood against our technicolor-dreamcoat-wearing hombre.  :)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:58:55 PM
I liked the way the magic worked in this world too. Did anybody else think it was weird that the god had him ambushed and kidnapped by thugs even though they lived in the same trailer park? I was confused who initiated the whole sacrifice thing. Was it the spring guardian boyfriend, or Forseti?