Author Topic: PseudoPod 626: Blue John  (Read 2314 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 15, 2018, 10:28:29 PM
PseudoPod 626: Blue John

Author: D.K. Wayrd
Narrator: Phil Lunt
Host: Orrin Grey

“Blue John” was originally published in Shock Totem magazine, Jan. 2016

Show Notes
The first draft of “Blue John” centered on a demon-possessed letterpress that compelled Blue John to kill. Which, of course, meant he was simply a conduit for evil and a rather one-dimensional character. I put the story aside, returning to it only after reading “The Invention of Murder” by Judith Flanders, a non-fiction book about the reporting of crime in the Victorian-era press. I realized Blue John had plenty of motivation to kill and didn’t need any satanic prompting. As Blue John became more real to me, so did the character of Finch, and he ended up taking over the story.

This episode is sponsored by J.R. HAMANTASCHEN (who podcasts at The Horror Of Nachos And Hamantaschen) and his new story collection A DEEP HORROR THAT IS VERY NEARLY AWE.

This is J.R.’s third collection, and his best yet, featuring eleven frightening, challenging stories of strange horror. This collection cages a menagerie of quiet human horror that inhabits territory in both magical realism and bizarro underpinned by sardonic humor.

As he moves into longer forms, Hamantaschen views this collection as a fitting encapsulation of the themes and motifs he’s explored in his short fiction, and a showcase of the styles that worked best in his previous two collections. In particular, the final novella in this collection is hopefully enough of an impetus to get you to read the whole book.

This plus his previous two collections, “You Shall Never Know Security” and “With a Voice that is Often Still Confused But is Becoming Ever Louder and Clearer” are all available in digital form for less than $10, so consider spending some of those gift cards here. (Such as at AMAZON or your purveyor of digital content of choice.)

I’m behind the bar shucking oysters when Blue John enters the tavern. He’s wearing a plain tweed suit instead of a policeman’s uniform, but still moves with a constable’s swagger. “Boy,” he says, “where’s your master?” I lay down my knife and leave to find Father, to tell him our new lodger has arrived.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

VTDorchester

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:38:09 PM
I enjoyed this story although I did find it bore more than a passing resemblance to Jack the Ripper stories (perhaps largely because of the setting?) and must admit that the ending was slightly unsatisfying for me. However, over all, I found that it kept my attention and kept me amused, and thus I commend those involved in it's telling! Thank you.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 09:41:28 PM
I'm not the Ripper, I'm not a kid, nor yet a current copper, but I'm your own ink-stained friend...

Yours Truly,

John the Printer