Author Topic: PseudoPod 625: The Golgotha Dancers and These Doth The Lord Hate  (Read 3295 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 625: The Golgotha Dancers and These Doth The Lord Hate

Author: Manly Wade Wellman
Narrators: Andrew Leman and Eve Upton
Host: Orrin Grey

“The Golgotha Dancers” was was originally published in Weird Tales, October 1937

“These Doth The Lord Hate” was originally published in Weird Tales, January 1939

Show Notes
“Masks of Nyarlathotep” is now available from Dark Adventure Radio Theater. This is adapted from the famous Chaosium role-playing game of the same title. The show is over 7 hours long.

You can check it out here: https://store.hplhs.org/products/dark-adventure-radio-theatre-masks-of-nyarlathotep

I had come to the Art Museum to see the special show of Goya prints, but that particular gallery was so crowded that I could hardly get in, much less see or savor anything; wherefore I walked out again. I wandered through the other wings with their rows and rows of oils, their Greek and Roman sculptures, their stern ranks of medieval armors, their Oriental porcelains, their Egyptian gods. At length, by chance and not by design, I came to the head of a certain rear stairway. Other habitués of the museum will know the one I mean when I remind them that Arnold Böcklin’s The Isle of the Dead hangs on the wall of the landing.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 08:39:59 AM
I am a long time Wellman fan and thoroughly enjoyed both stories.  Brava all the way around!

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:03:38 AM
Pseudopod’s guest host knows his content. Unfortunately, the audio quality wasn’t good (it had a tin-can echo & sounded like a cell phone call).  :-\

Still, thanks for hosting the show.

Edit: post listen; once I got past the guest host's sound quality... and focused on what he was talking about... I enjoyed what he had to say! I appreciated him having the minerals to do it in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:04:17 PM by Scuba Man »

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

VTDorchester

• Palmer
I also enjoyed this episode. Thank you.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
I'd never read "The Golgotha Dancers" before and it was an enjoyable haunted painting with very creepy monsters.

But "These Doth the Lord Hate" I know from way back in my preteen years, and it was a consistent bugaboo for me for over a decade.  When I was a young adult, I converted to Christianity, and remained a Christian until my mid-twenties.  This story really captures the creeping horror of knowing the "right" thing or the "correct" beliefs but also knowing that they simply don't feel just or good.  Even now, it brings back the weight of that feeling, of the struggle to find another way to interpret the "holy" book so that I could behave morally without violating its dicta, of wondering why a supposed benevolent creator deity would do things like deliberately have hundreds of generations of humans with souls born and dying on a continent that wouldn't even be reached by anyone who could teach them the route to salvation for millennia, or make someone attracted to the same sex and then burn them in hell for engaging in a relationship.

People do fucked up things to each other for really weird reasons.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 01:38:41 PM
Both of these stories have cool titles. I guess when you have a badass* name like Manly Wade Wellman that just comes naturally.

The Golgotha Dancers is an ok weird tale, but the ending was a little weak. I prefer These Doth the Lord Hate.

16 These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:

17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

I think a story about the destruction of something innocent is often times more horrifying than the scariest Stephen King monster or the freakiest body horror gorefest. Who needs Cthulhu when you can read about someone irrevocably damaging their soul with a single deed or a simple word?

*Badass names. Manly Wade Wellman makes it into the top 5, imo. It's a name for a guy who feuds with the Iron Sheikh and drinks with Handsome Dick Manitoba. It's a name for a guy who went 15 rounds with a grizzly bear in a bare knuckle boxing match in a lumber camp outside of Saskatchewan back in '42.

*Top 5 Badass names:

1: Malachi Throne
2: Thulsa Doom
3: Thurl Ravenscroft
4: Manly Wade Wellman
5: Deathstroke the Terminator

P.S. The HPLHS is awesome.

Languorous Lass

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 01:47:28 AM
And Thurl Ravenscroft had the voice to match the name.